2006 Scions & iPods

I've test driven a 2006 Scion XA. But it didn't have the Ipod port (it just had the standard 1/8" aux-in jack), so I couldn't test it out to see exactly how it works. I'm planning to purchase an XA but I'd like to know what types of control over the Ipod the specific port gives you. I know it displays some information on the head unit, but I am not sure exactly what that is. And I know you can control the Ipod from the head unit and steering wheel. But, I don't know if that boils down to _only_ being able to skip to the next song and control the volume.

Please let me know if you have any information on this feature.

Reply to
Daniel Waterhouse

I think BMW, VW and Audi offer full Ipod integration... Scions only come with the aux ports.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I forgot to mention that you need the 'iTrip' thing, that attaches to the iPod. It turns your iPod into a radio station in and of itself. Very cool; especially on long trips while driving alone.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

No, 2006 Scions also have an optional Ipod port. You can see it in these photos.

Here is Scion's PR blurb about it:

"A Pioneer AM/FM/CD head unit with iPod control is now available as an all-new accessory upgrade for both xA and xB. This head unit integrates track, artist and album information from the iPod into a one-line scrolling display on the head unit's screen. Connectivity is achieved by simply plugging the iPod into a port via a connector cable, providing outstanding sound quality through the car's stereo system and constant power to the iPod. Music is controlled through the head unit and, for the xA, the steering wheel buttons. The MSRP for this accessory upgrade is only $260, which includes installation." But, I'd still like to know more about what exactly can be controlled.

Reply to
Daniel Waterhouse

I've already got a Monster Icarplay that I use with my Jetta. It is actually a little nicer than the Itrip because it plugs into the car's power jack and charges the Ipod while broadcasting. But, even the stock aux-in port in Scions will sound better than the Icarplay. The optional Ipod port would be better, I just don't know if it is worth the extra $260.

84

Reply to
Daniel Waterhouse

SWEET! I didnt know they had this option. I wonder if Toyota will equip other cars with this.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Why not go on another test drive and bring your iPod along?

Since Volume control is a function of the head unit and not the iPod proper, then whatever the steering wheel controls control in the head unit for the FM radio, they will control for the iPod.

Reply to
J Strickland

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Tune your radio to 87.9 or another vacant station. Mine works perfectly that way (Yes, we have an Xa)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Because I'd have to find one of the rare Scions with Ipod port already installed. There are none around me.

Reply to
Daniel Waterhouse

I'm telling you - the iTrip on a vacant station works just fine, but whatever

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

OR, you could drive one with the Aux Input jack, like the car you asked about, and see what it does with your iPod.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I've already got an FM transmitter that is better than the Itrip, but I am not satisfied with an FM transmitter.

Reply to
Daniel Waterhouse

That's easy to answer. It plays whatever sound your Ipod is playing. The only control you get from the car is volume. All other control has to be performed from the Ipod itself.

But, what I want to know is what sort of control the new Ipod integration offers.

Reply to
Daniel Waterhouse

*shrug*

Natalie