91 Camry... Chattering from starter mortor at startup... Need advice

I have a 91 Toyota Camry LE. Recently, I have noticed that frequently when I turn the starter key on, the starter does not seem engage
immediately. It seems to "chatter" for a while... as if it is having a hard time engaging into the torque converter ring. Everytime thus far, it has starter after two or three attempts. It is a little uncomfortable starting a car this way... I would like to get the problem resolved. I would appreciate some ideas on what it could be and a possible fix.
Thanks, Al Kondo

Some Camrys around that vintage have been known to do that. The repair is to replace the starter. I would not wait too long because the clashing could ruin some teeth on the flex ring, and you have to remove the transmission to replace it.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply