2012 Prius

Last week I saw a Prius with a big sticker on the back that said that it plugs into the AC outlet and can get 100 MPG.

Then yesterday I had some business at Stevenson Toyota and happened to mention it to a sales manager. I asked if they were selling those that way.

He said no, that there's currently a company in Boulder that's converting them for $10k each ( pretty stiff for what? Adding a power supply/charger to the thing? ), but that Toyota is planning on selling them starting in the

2012 model year.

Wow.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

You haven't been paying attention, have you.

GM spent a long time talking about how the gasoline engine is just a generator, but a couple of weeks ago they announced that that's not exactly true. The gasoline engine in fact drives the wheels directly under certain circumstances.

It is not a fact that the gasoline engine "never drives the wheels directly" as GM initially stated and/or as some people inferred from listening to GM.

What GM did was take Toyota's basic "very expensive and complex" (not!) engineering of a planetary drive and re-jigger what pieces are attached where. This re-jiggering, plus a bunch of batteries, creates a plug-in hybrid--that can run legal freeway speeds on battery, and have decent commuting range on battery.

Toyota can re-jigger their drive system to achieve exactly the same effect.

To repeat: GM's drive system is no different than Toyota's. Toyota's isn't particularly "complex and expensive". It's ingenious. And GM studied it and made it work on a plug-in hybrid basis.

The Volt is a hybrid. Period.

Elmo P. Shagnasty