4Runner blower problems

Hi folks,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a non-working fan on a '91 4-Runner and was wondering if someone can offer some tips. (The fan in question is the inside blower fan/AC.) It no longer comes on. This happens at ALL speeds, includiing the highest. I've checked whatever fuses I could think of and even have given the 'CDS FAN' relays a few wacks with a screwdriver, just in case they got stuck... No luck.

I've taken off the glove compartment and gotten to the motor, but am not really sure what to look for there. I've disconnected what appears to be the power supply wire to the motor and, with the fan switch turned all the way up, hooked up a voltmeter to all the terminals, every which way I could think of. I can't seem to register a voltage there. (BTW, should I still expect to read somewhere around 12V DC there, just like I do at the battery?) This seems to imply that there's no power to the motor, which would then rule out the motor itself. However, I'm:

  1. Not 100% convinced that I'm measuring voltage in the right place and in the right manner
  2. Even if I am, am not sure where to go look for the problem at this point.

I've also done my best at trying to measure voltage across the relay terminals (again, CDS FAN #1 & 2, with the engine running and fan switch all the way to ON). And again, I've been unable to register any kind of voltage, but am not sure that I'm doing it correctly. (Measuring across the 'already ON' terminals, not the switched ones.)

Can someone offer some ideas to try next? Could it be the switch itself? Is there an easy way to test that theory? Should I just get the right relays and try those? (Are the CDS FAN the right relays? Where can I get them?) I've also read some references in this group to a blower resistor pack on the motor, but it sounds like since the motor won't come on even at highest speed, when the current should flow directly to it, this may not be the culprit.

Please help before I do any more damage. I know just enough to cause a blackout in the neighborhood. :-)

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Reply to
Alex