4Runner diff shot - please advise

Hi All,

My wife's was driving her 4Runner (2002 SR5) . As she tried to disengage 4WD (at about 25mph) the smoke started pouring from underneath the hood and the truck sounded like it was revving too high, although tachometer read normal, somewhere at 2000 rpms.

She got out of the car and saw fire underneath, which went out shortly.

We towed it to a mechanic nearby that was recommended to us by a family member. He wants $4500 for:

1) Replacing the front differential ($1400 new, maybe cheaper if can find used) 2) Some wiring harnesses melted by the fire ($1000) 3.) Some motor that engages and disengages the 4WD ($300) 4.) Misc parts such as sparkplug wires and some hoses that were melted by the fire ($300) 5.) Labor 20hrs x$75/hr ($1500)

Does this sound normal or am I being ripped off?

Reply to
igarber

The parts prices sound about right. You have to shop several service places around you, including the dealer, to see if the labor rate is competitive. The labor hours sounds about right.

Reply to
Ray O

And the most important questions: What caught fire? And why?

A 2002 model year should still be under warranty, unless you've already put a whole lotta miles on it - and even then, if you are a good customer who is out of warranty by 23 miles, and the item that failed really shouldn't have, they might be able to help... Perhaps you should talk to the local dealer?

If you state what happened, one of the dealer techs here can tell you if there are Technical Service Bulletins on that problem. There could be a "silent warranty" for very rare but known problems.

If all that stuff needs to be replaced, it sounds in line. But you should be able to find good used units covering most of those items at a wrecking yard, or just get your old front differential rebuilt if it didn't grenade. Plug wires you should get new at the dealer, and the hoses can be generic Gates unless there are molded bends involved.

If you buy a differential at a wrecking yard, pop the covers and inspect them before installation. No sense finding out the replacement unit is more hosed than the one you took out AFTER getting it all bolted in.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There is no such thing as a "silent warranty." The district service manager may authorize out-of-warranty repairs on a case by case basis.

Reply to
Ray O

Nothing sinister meant by the term 'silent' - but a lot of little problems get noted in TSB's but don't get to be general public knowledge, like the head gasket woes some engines have had. Or that batch of potentially bad ball joints. Or the AC system failures from leaking R-12 expansion valves a few years back.

And the front differential or it's shift motor (I'm still not clear on exactly what happened here) catching fire with enough energy to make a big mess of the car sure sounds to me like something that may be warranteed - they are NOT supposed to do that under normal operating conditions.

The independent repair shop will be glad to take your money for doing any repairs you need - even if they might be done for free under warranty if you went to a dealer.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Very true!