89 toyota cressida

I have an 89 cressida rear wheel drive sedan, the rear end is not holding fluid and it is whining really bad. I have tried replacing seals but nothing has changed. I have been on the look out for a rear end but no luck in that department either. Can anyone out there help me. I really can't afford a new car and I really love this one.

Thanks, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan E. l via CarKB.com

Which seals did you replace? The axle seals or the pinion seals? If the seals are not leaking then check the drain and fill plugs and the vent.

I believe the differential in your car has cooling fins on a removable back cover. If so, check the gasket on the cover for leaks. Also, if the differential is the one with cooling fins, then you have a limited slip differential and must use LSD oil.

Reply to
Ray O