Help Needed for 1988 SR5

Corolla 1988 SR5 carburated model.

This great little car has started on a dime for over 10 years. About a month ago I noticed intermittent starting difficulty. I turn the key and it starts instantly - or - I turn the key and it refuses to start. Eventually it will start but takes 5 minutes of coaxing. This happens whether the engine is warm or cold. When it does start running it is very smooth purring and goes like hell. Good battery and the starter sounds very strong. Clean new air filter. I looked for a bad wire connection but cannot find one. Anybody who can steer me in the right direction it will be appreciated. Only 90,000 miles on the car and I am the second owner since 1995. Very limited funds so I really want to keep her going. Also I have sprayed carb cleaner down the throat while the engine is running. When it is idling the RPM's are perfect whether it was hard or easy to start. I need some advice.

Thank you

Reply to
Gary

Are you on the Cape? Whereabouts?

When you say that the car refuses to start, do you mean that you get nothing out of the starter when engaging the key? If so, the contacts on the starter relay are probably worn. Some auto parts stores sell replacement contacts for under $20.00, the relay should be located on the starter itself.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray I live in the Hyannis area. When I say refuses to start, I should have said refuses to turn over. Starter motor goes like hell. It just won't fire. Next morning it will start on a dime. :<

Reply to
Gary

snips

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Hi Gord -it cranks normally but won't start. Let the car sit overnight and it might start just fine. Problem occurs intermittently. Problem occurs intermittently whether engine is warm or cold. ??

Reply to
Gary

Ok Gary, now we're getting somewhere...try this, when it's been cranking for a few seconds (enough that you figure "it ain't gonna start" ) release the key, then start cranking again. I had a Mazda that would occasionally do this, you could sometimes crank till the cows came home and it'd never start but if you stopped cranking for a second then started again it'd start right up. I never did find out why. Good luck, let us know, there's lotsa good mechanics on here, I use them every so often.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks Gord.

Reply to
Gary

Gary wrote: > Gord Beaman wrote: >

Changed out the fuel pump, the fuel filter ( both original 1988 OEM parts !!) Put in new plugs and checked the distributor (needed new rotar). This "seems" to have solved the problem. I sure hope so. I can't believe those original parts lasted so long. Does Toyota know how to make a car or what!

Reply to
Gary

Excellent!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

What kind of Toyota was it? ;) (Stolen from Click and Clack, or Tommy and Ray Magliocci, on NPR. Guy called in about 12 years ago with a similar complaint, and they asked the above. I have had Toys do this for YEARS and never had a problem...)

Reply to
Hachiroku