85 Toyota Cressida

I have an 85 Toyota Cressida and the radiator fan blades broke. I wanted to find out about replacing the fan with an electric replacement fan. Everything I have read indicates that the electric fan is not to be used as a primary fan and says something about a four core. Any suggestions?? Also, my fan shroud broke which caused the fan blades to break. I can't seem to find either the fan blades or the shroud. Help!!!!!

Reply to
Joel

The original fan has a fluid clutch that freewheels when it is cold and locks up when it is hot.

To retro-fit an electric cooling fan, you would need a coolant temperature sensor and a means of installing it in the cooling jacket with power to the sensor coming from a circuit that is hot when the ignition is on; a relay, a fuse, and the associated light and heavy duty wiring.

Finding a replacement cooling fan and shroud is probably easier. Check junk yards for the fan from a Supra or Cressida. Cut away any pieces of the shroud that interfere with the fan and leave the remaining shroud pieces.

Reply to
Ray O

A Properly setup electric fan will be better then a radiator fan, but it will cost you money. If you want to get out of it cheep then go to a auto parts recycler and get a fan for the type of motor in your car. To go to the electric fan go to

and look at either the 14 or 16 inch fan kit, they are Davies Craig units which are the best in the world. The 16 inch kit will set you back around $180 but will more than likly need an extra realy to be added if you have air-conditioning to get it to work properly. The upside to using a electric fan is that you will gain a little bit more power (2-3hp).

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne