96 corolla timing belt question

I have a 96 corolla 1.8 liter. My car stopped driving and couldn't crank anymore. I opened the head and saw small cracks on the belt. When I removed the timing belt, I saw like 2 teeth on the belt was cracked. Also.I had to retime the timing belt gears too I think the gears jumped or something. What could have caused this to happen. I am thinking either doing burnouts caused this, something went inside damaged it, or there was a defect in the belt.

Reply to
msrdude

The brand of belt was?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Doing burnouts caused it.

Stop abusing your car and it won't fall apart. When you learn to respect the machine, you can ask how to fix it. Until then, open your wallet and pay for what you buy with your abuse.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A timing belt should not develop cracks in only 20,000 miles. If oil is dripping on the belt, the belt could deteriorate so if that is the case, replace the oil seals on the cam shafts and crankshaft. While you are in there, check to see if the water pump is weeping.

It is possible that someone sold you a cheap or used belt. Install an OEM or Gates belt and you should be good to go.

Reply to
Ray O

Doing burnouts won't likely cause cracks in the timing belt, and burnouts are not likely to cause the belt to jump timing because a stock '96 Corolla with street legal tires won't produce enough resistance to jump the belt.

Cam timing could jump because it wasn't set correctly in the first place; the tensioner is not working properly; or something run by the belt is seized. I'd check the tensioner first.

What burnouts will do is eat tires very quickly, wear out the clutch or clutch packs very quickly leaving you with expensive transmission repairs, and bring the attention of the local law enforcement folks so be prepared to spend money on tires, transmissions, and tickets.

Reply to
Ray O

I know that burnouts does not harm a timing chain, or belt. But the behavior that makes one think that doing enough burnouts warrants one to proclaim that they even do them is not good for the car in general, even if there is no direct impact to the belt.

This poster wreaks of immaturity, and he abuses his car in a way that I was taught to never abuse my car. I do plenty of bad things to my cars, but pushing a 1.8L Japanese motor to burn rubber is nothing short of stupid.

As for the broken teeth on the belt, or the sprocket(s), the belt tensioner sounds as if it was not set properly, which you mentioned.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was thinking the same thing about the burnouts, then I think back to when I was a bit younger and Ray is right, those burnouts were hard on transmissions and tires and clutches and I got tickets, but we didn't have to worry about broken timing belts, just broken U joints, 3rd members, new spark plugs, points, timing, adjusting the brakes and 4 barrel carburetors etc. Good luck trying to give advice to a youngster, I'm afraid they haven't progressed nearly as much as the cars in the last 45 years. My old man had a policy of it's your car, you break, you buy the parts and you fix it or walk, and he wasn't very nice about the way he said it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... times.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

How do you think I learned to fix cars?

Reply to
Ray O

It would be hypocritical for me to say that the OP doesn't deserve good technical advice because he or she does burnouts, so I just try to give good advice and hope the OP learns a valuable lesson.

Reply to
Ray O

Well I did burnouts before like a few years ago, but now I dont do it anymore because it means nothing. I was just saying that could my burnouts back then caused this (should have mentioned that earlier) The gear teeth are fine and the tightness is correct; not too loose or tight.

Reply to
msrdude

If the cam timing and belt tension are correct and no teeth on the timing gears are broken, then the cam wasn't timed correctly when the timing belt was replaced or the incorrect timing belt was installed.

While burnouts are certainly not good for your car, they did not cause the problem with the timinb belt.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe it could be one of these 3 things that caused the timing belt to be messed up??? maybe??? Red lining the car, even though i do not think tat is possible. Revving the engine on neutral and changing to drive right away. Flooring the gas pedal at green light.

Reply to
msrdude

I doubt if any of these 3 things caused the timing belt to wear rapidly or jump timing.

Revving the engine in neutral and dropping it to drive will ruin the transmission quickly.

Redlining the engine and flooring the gas pedal at a green light will hurt fuel economy.

The most likely cause for the timing belt problem is a bad tensioner, incorrect belt, or damaged pulley or sprocket.

Reply to
Ray O