1998 Corolla engine belt question

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding the various engine belts in my 1998 Corolla:

  1. When I took my car to the dealer for a 60,000 mile maintenance, the mechanic said that the "engine drive belt" was cracked and needed to be replaced - is this just another name for the timing belt?

  1. What is the recommended time for replacing the timing belt? (and engine drive belt, if it's different from the timing belt?) 60,000 miles? 90,000 miles?

Your insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kuo

jor

I think a '98 Corolla has a timing chain, not a belt.

Reply to
S.S.

The 1998 doesn't have a timing belt it uses a timing chain. You should ask them to show you the crack on the drive belt. I was approached with the same problem and asked to see it and it was a minute nick. I ignored them and changed service shops.

Reply to
Patrick Casher