97 avalon alarm system problem,

I bought a used 97 Avalon. It seems the Alarm system/ Security system doesn't work . I dont see security light go on after I lock the car using my key (It didnt come with remote) Does any one had this problem and if so how to resolve it ?

Reply to
Jani

First guess is look for a fuse (just off the cuff...)

Reply to
hachiroku

Jani:

First of all, find out if the alarm was installed by Toyota. If so, any dealer can get a remote for you. An easy way of getting that info is looking at where the light is and see if it reads Toyota or not. If not, you can always call Toyota Customer Service. If it's not a Toyota alarm, try to find out what brand it is and give them a call.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
ggal

It does say toyota security on it.

Reply to
Jani

The alarm probably needs the remote to activate it. Like I mentioned earlier, any dealer can help you with that. Also, you may want to try and reset your alarm. Try locking and unlocking three times, and go from Off to On with the key in the ignition 3 times. This is what usually resets the system.

Reply to
ggal