99 camry - engine light on - strange situation

I've a 99 toyota camry, never replaced the battery so far. I usually leave the day time lights on (switches automatically ON when the engine is started, and switches off automatically when the engine is shut down). This morning when I was ready for work and came to the car the head lights were ALREADY ON(!) and when I tried starting, the ENGINECHECK comes on and does not go off, and car engine cranks and never get started. If the battery is dead the head lights should not be ON correct? Any idea, if it is because of the dead battery or what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance.

-Ravi

Reply to
ravipb

The ignition system needs a little over 10 volts to start the car. It is possible that the battery has drained below that point, but there is enough voltage to illuminate the headlights. A 7 year old battery is probably due for a replacement, especially if you live in a hot or cold climate. It is possible that the daytime running light relay got stuck due to low battery voltage. Start by getting the battery replaced and see if the headlight problem cures itself.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for that. I live in DC metro area and I knew it is time for battery replacement and wanted to do it in a week or two. Do you think the batttery drain is causing the ENGIN ECHECK light on. OR what are the chances that it is an ALTERNATOR problem? Do you think I can get it repaired at a mechanic instead of going to the dealer? Thanks

Reply to
ravipb

The check engine light should be illuminated if the ignition is on but the engine is not running, and the check engine light will come on if the system voltage is too low.

Based on the age of the battery, I would start by getting it replaced and see if the other problems go away. You do not have to go to the dealership for a battery, although the replacement batteries they sell are good.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm with Ray on this one. The Check light can be caused by low battery voltage. The light comes on normally before the car is started, then it goes out when the motor is running. I don't think the Check light means anything to you right now, and you need to get a new battery before you start worrying about other stuff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Roger that. One of the pime directives of system diagnosis is verifying proper battery function before trouble shooting anything on the vehicle. I've seen more than one tech climb up and down MIL diagnostic trees only to realize after a few hours that the battery has a shorted cell or something of the like.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks a lot for all of your input. As you all expected the battery replacement solved all the issues.

Thanking you all once again, Ravi

Reply to
ravipb