AIR BAG LIGHT

Hello. I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla. The airbag light stays on ever since a really heavy rain we had last year. Is there a way to get it to go off? Maybe a fuse or something, and if so, where would that be located? Thanks for the help! Tia

Reply to
angel1

Um, why not take it to the dealer to make sure the airbag is operational? I'm not wild about messing with something that could save my life...

Reply to
Buck Frobisher

There are some special procedures to follow when servicing an airbag. Failure to follow them could cause the airbag to deploy, which would be expensive to replace.

The correct way to get the airbag light to go off is to repair the component that is causing the light to come on. I would take it to a dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reply to
Ray O

And possibly hurt.

Reply to
Bonehenge

There was a recall a few years ago on steering wheel air bags for Camrys. There came a point when we had about 45 old airbags laying around the parts dept with nowhere to go (apparently you can't ship an undeployed airbag). So, this of course meant taking a bunch of them to an empty baseball field and blowing them up face-down (naturally). Not only are they louder then my Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge, but we were able to land a few ontop of the two-story overhang of the bleachers. Very cool. But on a serious note, don't screw with these things if you aren't trained. I'd hate to see what one would do to someone not strapped in to a seat...

Reply to
qslim

Or cause some serious bodily injury!!!

HEY! Where the heck ya been?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

RIGHT!...or take it either (if mishandled).

I wouldn't be caught dead futzing around with airbag controls...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Not to mention, PAINFULL. One could get seriously killed if the airbag went off at the wrong time.

I second, all in favor say, "aye."

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for the advice. I thought I'd have to go that way,(dealer) but since the car is no longer under warrantee I was hoping....ah well. Thanks again

Reply to
angel1

Well, to be perfectly clear, there is no reason to see a dealer. If you can find an independent that specailzes in Toyotas, then I can see no reason why he couldn't fix the problem.

I have a BMW, and the airbag light came on to tell me the airbag light wasn't reliable. Yes, I wondered why they would turn a light on to tell me the light didn't work. But the point is, the guy reset the light and it never came on again.

The airbag is a safety-of-flight item. It will not reset itself, and any fault will be held until it is cleared. You could have a false report of a fault, and once reset, there may never be any more trouble. On the other hand, you could be having trouble with a seat belt switch or something like that. In any case, you need to have the codes pulled before any more can be done.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Went on vacation for a week, and our home internet connections has been intermittent since we got back.

Went to Maine to visit my wife's brother-in-law and also took a ride down to Billerica, MA for her cousin's wedding. We took the "scenic" route back to Maine - instead of 495 to 95, we took a bunch of back roads east to Boston, across the Tobin Bridge (missed the turnoff to take the new tunnel) to Route

1 all the way back to Saco, ME.

Sorry, I couldn't convince my wife to drive out to western MA to meet you.

Our rental car was a Grand Prix. I was pleasantly surprised, it was a decent car. With 15k miles on the clock, the only problem I noted in a week was a heat shield buzz at middle RPM. Steering effort at low speeds was more than I'm used to in our Avalon, Sequoia, and Lexus, and the brakes were a little grabby although they worked well. The

I stopped by the Toyota dealer in Saco, ME, to visit a guy I used to call on.

Hopefully, when the guy from the cable company shows up next week, he'll be able to fix our internet connection so it is more reliable.

Reply to
Ray O

Did anyone have access to your system while you were gone?

Reply to
Sharx35

Our college-age son was home so he was probably online, and I brought my laptop and was able to get hooked up once at my brother-in-law's house and once at a Panera Bread.

Reply to
Ray O