any comp nerds in here?

You're ripping the person off, too, because you're weakening his signal.

We have our own network within our home, and it has a 128 bit encryption. Your cousin would have to be rather high-functioning, if he can consent to internet access.

Also, you have to deliberately leave your connection open. The software repeatedly recommends that you encrypt it.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Mark A" ...

Yup - it's like giving out the password and configuration for your internet services. Dumb move.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Not only is it a crime in Michigan (thanks to another poster for posting it), but it is a crime in many states.

I would also ask, why didn't the police officer give the guy a warning? I mean, that is most reasonable. The police officer didn't know, at first, he breaking the law. Apparently, there were no complaints. It seems a warning would be in order.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"witfal" ... Jeff >>> You're not ripping the person off, you're ripping off the internet

First of all, "nimrod" simply means hunter, but since the public misunderstood when Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd that name, it's come to mean idiot. Just a little useless trivia.

If you put that plug where someone can stumble onto it, without even

*trying* (a wireless net will show up if you use the "find wireless networks" command), then yes, it's your fault someone can access it. Leaving it open has to be *deliberate* since the software *warns* you to encrypt it.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"witfal" , "Wickeddoll®"

LOL live and learn.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I knew that. Old Testament. Not a nice man.

The outlet is concealed. Just like a router in the home. The bottom line is that it's illegal in many states, and just plain unethical everywhere unless you've got verbal or written permission.

Reply to
witfal

Huh?

True, but it's like someone falling for that "I need your help to release my huge amount of money overseas" email.

Some people have to learn the hard way.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Genesis 10:11

Troo dat. ;-)

Reply to
witfal

What does that have to do with Elmer Fudd or Bugs Bunny?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Jeff Strickland"

Comparing dialup to any overloaded wireless connection is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You mentioned Nimrod being a hunter. I replied that I knew that; from Gen 10:11.

Just my side of the trivia, that's all.

Reply to
witfal

I'm a lector, but didn't remember seeing that word. LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

The first case of Smith in FL is the same as discussed before. He was hacking into another computer on a wireless computer, not "stealing" internet access. The other case was in the UK, and I won't even bother to read the details of that one because UK law does not apply in the US.

Reply to
Mark A

You keep repeating the same old lame case in FL:

"Smith, 40, was arrested and charged with a felony under a Florida law that prohibits unauthorized access to a computer or network."

What that means is that he broke into Richard Dinon's network and starting searching the guys computer for confidential information using the wireless network connection. He was not arrested for using a wireless internet connection that was not password protected. The law applies to breaking into networks, not using the internet bandwidth. That the accused was driving around in his car with a laptop was prima facie evidence that he was trying to find an unprotected home network and illegally access someone's computer (which has nothing to do with the internet).

Reply to
Mark A

The second issue is a civil matter, not a criminal one (unless someone is tries to resell the network access).

Reply to
Mark A

Yes, my wireless router came with random 128 keys enabled by default.

Reply to
Mark A

Some people don't care if someone uses their signal. One of the signals I used while waiting for my own internet was in the builder's sales office. They told me it was fine for me to use it. I know for a fact that their router (same as mine) came configured with keys by default and they removed them.

Reply to
Mark A

The Michigan law bars ""Fraudulent access to computers, computer systems, and computer networks". It does not specifically mention wireless access to the internet by connecting to a router when there is no password key required. My guess is that the wireless connection in that store was password protected, and the guy found out the password and used it from his car. He probably got the password key from a previous visit to the store.

Reply to
Mark A

How do you know that? When I connected to the open wireless connection in my area, I could not identify whose it was, so I assumed they knew what they were doing by setting it up without a password key. I was able to determine that the other connection I used from the development sales office belonged to the builder based on the SSID.

Reply to
Mark A

Just about every store that I know of that has free wireless has a password key that you get by asking and the periodically change it. They don't leave it wide open.

I am not going to speculate why someone in my neighborhood left there wireless internet connection wide open. Maybe the did it on purpose so they could hack into computers that connected to it. That would be a real twist in terms of who is the criminal. I have a firewall, so I did not mind if they tried that.

Reply to
Mark A