Any expereince with online shopping for a new Toyota?

We are in the market for a new Toyota. The last car I bought was about

10 years ago and I am still going about it in the old fashioned and painful way: visiting dealerships in person. Besides time and trouble of getting there, one has to deal with salesmen.

I am in Chicago area. One dealership (Grossinger) was a mad-house and the sales guy made you feel like running away. Another one (Bredemann in Park Ridge) was better. Encouraged by that we tried "nice suburbs". At Schaumburg Toyota 5-6 salesmen hanging around at the door like touts in 3rd world countries and all they wanted to know was "are you buying today?"

So I was thinking, why not shop online? But I don't know how. In particular I don't know how to zero in on the features we want:

Manual transmission A specific color (magnetic grey with ash interior) Power steering, locks etc. ABS (Is extra option of "stability control" useful?) Sunroof

6-CD changer

I don't know how to look for this specific combination online!

Sites that ask you to "build your car" confuse me because they begin by asking me to choose a "trim" and I don't care about that and don't know which options are available with which trim.

Ideally I would like to zero in on cars with these precise features, have dealers email me their quotes, and then deal with 1-2 that seem best. But I don't know how to do that. If you have experience, all advice will be appreciated.

Reply to
Ajanta

Go to the Toyota website to see the inventory that the dealer has in stock and on-order. Once you identify the car you want, you can use the online purchasing at dealer website to get a quote, or if you are Costco member use their car buying service. Most credit unions also have a car buying service. The car buying service is just a way to hook you up with salesperson who handles internet/fleet sales at a particular dealer.

Reply to
Mark A

Our family, including my parents, have purchased about 2 dozen vehicles from Bredemann, and we refer another 5 or 6 friends a year to them. They have an excellent reputation although you may be able to save a couple of hundred dollars if you're willing to go through the hassle and haggle and visit multiple dealerships.

I live within walking distance to Schaumburg Toyota and go there for parts and for service that I don't do myself.

Reply to
Ray O

I bought my '97 Camry via Autobytel.com. They gave me an exact quote for what I'd specified, which dealer to get it from, and who there to ask for. I then went to three other Toyota dealers and none came anywhere close in matching price.

There was no haggling and no surprises. That was 11 years ago. I don't know how much things have changed since then.

Reply to
Henry David