Are Japanese cars really more reliable? Latest Consumer Reports info

> Of course, you provide your own grain of salt!>

That's not a problem.

You're clearly making that up. Prove me wrong, please.

Please explain exactly how that would affect the accuracy of the survey.

No they don't. They ask if any repairs were made to the car, and is fo what were they, how much they cost, etc. Why are you making up lies to support your opinion that CR data is inaccurate?

There is nothing in the reliability section of the survey asking "is there anything that bothers you about the car." It asks for specific factual information on repairs which had to be made to the vehicle. They keep their "owner satisfaction" questions separate.

Yes, they weight it so that more expensive repairs count for more than less expensive nes, which is as it should be.

That's obvious. It's also clear that you regard your feeling as proof, because none of your reasoning pans out.

I know for a fact that your statements about the surveys are total falsehoods. If you expect to be believed, you'd better post some *very* reliable sources, otherwise I'll assume you're making this up as well.

Wrong again. They have typically 200 to 400 responses "per model year and engine variant." If a typical model has been going for five years and has one engine variant, that's 1000 to 2000 responses. If it has two engine variants, that's 2000 to 4000 responses. And the 200 to 400 number isn't for each vehicle, it's typical. Some vehicles much more popular than average, they would by the laws of probability have a much greater number of responses on those. Coincidentally (or maybe not) the more reliable vehicles tend to be popular ones.

Reply to
That Guy

Not my opinion it's a fact, that anybody who wants to look can find at nadaguides.com LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Demonstrable fact, drive one up a grade and see for yourself. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't know were you live but here in Delaware we do not need to go up hills, with or without our TVs. Up in PA they DO need to go up hills all the time. Once one gets past Harrisburg on I-81, the Subarus and 4cy Camrys get in the way all the time on then grades Even tractor trailers pass them up the mountains. 81 is upgrade all the way up to the 'Endless Mountains' near New York LOL

.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I've driven my little '92 Corolla Wagon on your 'hills'.

No tractor trailer ever passed me going up hill...unless I was parked.

I've never been in anyone's way....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Come on Scott, you do not drive a 4cy Camry. If you were maintaining the speed limit on a mountain in Pa, with your Corolla, you were down a gear or two and running over 4K RPMs to hold 65. I you were doing 65, the tractor trailers would still be passing you, they drive 75 to 80 on I-81 most of the time LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Among mid-size cars available with both 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines, why have the 4-cyl ones from Ford and GM tended to get worse mileage in real life than the 6-cyl ones, while with the Camry it's been the opposite? Doesn't that indicate that the Ford and GM 4-cyls are more underpowered than the Toyota 4-cyls?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I don't know if that is true about GMs cars but it is not true of the Fusion. If what you say is indeed the case for the Camry 4 and 6 it appears to indicate that the V6 Camry will do better in 'real life' than the

4 because it can run in its top gear, fifth, more of the time than the 4 cy can run in top gear, to do the same work ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well I live in Oregon, and used to drive a 4 cylinder Mazda 626 over Mt passes from here to over the Rockies all the time, packed with kids and cargo. A hell of a lot steeper than any thing in PA. Never had a problem maintaining my speed at all. Never once wished I had a 6 cylinder.

Reply to
ToMh

I have not heard anybody say the Mazda 626 was under powered, certainly not me. I have been talking about midsize cars with 4 cy engines, like the Camry that need to be run down a gear or two just to maintain the speed limit on an interstate mountain grade. The mountains may be higher but the maxim grades angles, and curve radius allowed on the interstate system, was set by the feds when the system was built and are generally the same in every state, in any event.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I was talking about a 90 626. Which is a mid size car with a 4 cylinder and is less powered than a current camry. You are right though, I would have to drop into 4th gear, maybe into 3rd under certain circumstances, like passing a Semi, but big deal. I doubt many 6 cyinder cars drive over these passes in 5th either. My 6 yclinder 200 Hp Sienna needs to be taken out of overdrive when going over passes, and it certainly down shifts, most cars do. Sure, there are many under powered cars, but I really doubt that many people really need a 6 cyinder in a mid size car. Not to say it may be funner to have a 6 cyinder, but you don't need it.

I'm sure that's true, regardless, I never had any problems. I know one thing, I have never seen a Semi go much more than 30 going over the Rockies, at least on I90. There is always a line of them chugging along at a slow and steady pace.

Reply to
ToMh

I'm still waiting to hear who died and made you the arbiter of automotive power requirements.

The Camry is available with an excellent V6 engine. If the 4 was underpowered, people would get the V6 instead. Since they purchase the 4 in eye-popping numbers and at prices that are good for Toyota the judgemen of the market is that "Mike Hunter" is a moron.

Reply to
DH

You think those are mountains? Hah. Go West, young man.

It's funny because it rings so true.

Reply to
DH

You are entitled to your own opinion. However in this instance you can prove it to yourself. Drive a 4 cy Camry up a grade with the cruse set at the speed limit, then take the same grade in a V6. In my opinion, you will change yours ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Mike Hunter" wrote: "OMFG! For 5 miles of my 1200 mile trip, that I4 Camry was in 4th gear instead of 5th and TOTALLLY RUINED THE GAS MILEAGE! It's the END OF THE WORLD!"

Get a grip and a clue. On a few hills, it might shift down. So what? From Port Jervis East on I-84 EVERYBODY downshifts until they hit the top of that hill. From Denver West on I-70 EVERYBODY downshifts. A few times.

Big deal. Let's see what real I4 Camry owners had to say: "Man, I love my Camry! Plenty of power!" - my brother-in-law "Man, I love my Camry! Plenty of power!" - my friend, JH "Man, I love my Camry! Plenty of power!" - my friend, MH "Man, I love my Camry! Plenty of power!" - my friend, CD

I borrowed my b-i-l's I4 Camry for a trip into Boston. No trouble getting in or out of Boston and Logan. No trouble keeping up with traffic or blowing by it in the left lane if I felt like it and no trouble merging. We had 5 people and luggage in the car.

Reply to
DH

No ones saying that a 6 cyinder will not have more power. It's your made up story about 4 cylinder Camry's barely being able to make it up hills and are passed by Semi's, which is pure BS.

Reply to
ToMh

To its credit, Ford has done some nice product. I guess the market for two-seaters, however, is limited. Too bad. I thought the "new" Thunderbird was a nice example of retro done right. It looked both very modern and somehow like an old T-bird.

And I should say that it should not surprise me that the two-seater market would be limited. I'd like a Miata. We have several cars, one of which is a minivan. Why not get a two-seater to replacce one of the 4/5 seaters?

99% of our trips are just one or two people. Nope - my spouse is having none of that. Every car has to hold 4 people. Even though one of our vehicles was a two-door econobox of advanced age and decrepitude and whether or not it would REALLY hold 4 people is an interesting question. Another good question was "could we find 4 volunteers to ride in it and make the test?" The answer seemed to be "no."
Reply to
dh

Everybody, really? I counted four Camrys struggling, at 10 MPH below the speed limit to get up the Joe Palooka mountain, on I-81 by Wilkes-Barre. I was in fifth gear at 2,000 RPMs and doing 70. When one runs that road north it is uphill all the way from Harrisburg, well over two hundred miles, to the NY state line, . LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Go for a ride insted of sitting in front of you computer, WBMA. If your are doing less the the liimit you can bet you ass the ligs will pass you by. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The 4 has really improved since I bought by 6 cyl 99 Camry. I would seriously consider the 4 for my next Camry purchase.

Reply to
sharx35