Tires for 2000 Avalon

I am planning to replace the tires on my 2000 Avalon XL. Because of the type of car it is, I am looking for an emphasis on ride comfort and low noise. Of course, handling and tread wear must be acceptable as well. I live in the desert in Southern California, so bad weather handling is not much of an issue.

Based on what I read in Consumers Report, I had decided to buy Goodyear Assurance Triple-treds. However, I have seen some reports that suggest that CR confused the results for the Triple-treds with the results for the Goodyear Comfort-tred, and that it is actually the Comfort-tred tires that have the nice ride and low noise.

Any comments on this? Any other suggestions?

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Consumer Reports also liked the Goodyear Eagle LS that came on my 300M. The first set lasted a year before they started vibrating. Chyrsler got new tires put on. Another year later, same thing. Michelin MXV4 plus came on my 2001 Avalon and they are also now on my 300M.

Reply to
Art

Go to

and see how the tires are rated there. There ratings are not scientific either, but it is another set of opinions. The Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds were highly rated. The ComforTreds were also highly rated, and beat the TripeTreds in the "comfort" categories (noise, ride) but were not as highly rated in the "performance" categories.

See:

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

I just put new tires on my 2000 Avalon. I got them at Discount Tire.They are Goodyear Assurance Comfortred, P205/60R. They ride fine and are not noisy. The out-the-door price was $573 which included lifetime balancing and repairs. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

Ouch! That's what it would cost me wholesale to put decent tires on my truck! Good thing I work in a tire shop and pay over cost; makes it bearable.

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

Wow - I find myself agreeing with Art here . I have a 2002 Avalon XLS, and it came with the Michelin MXV4 plus tires. When a family member cut a sidewall on a sharp curb, I replaced the two in front with with the same tire. No regrets at all. Good, quite ride and predictable handling. I'll do the same again, when the time comes. Steve

Reply to
Steve Henderson

I have a 2000 XLS. My tires wore out at about 60,000 miles. I read the reviews on the tire rack site and decided on Bridgestone Turanza LSH. They were slightly cheaper than the Michelin's but much quieter. After 35,000 more miles they are still quiet and have quite a bit of tread left. I think they are a superior product all around. Look at the tire rack site.

Reply to
ray