Battery removal - Yaris

My '07 Yaris came with apocalyptic warnings in the owners manual regarding removing or disconnecting the battery from the vehicle. So how does the Toyota dealership go about changing the battery?

Reply to
Screwtape III

That's interesting...I wonder why they don't want you disconnecting the battery?

The only thing I can guess is that there is something in the car that is programmed and doesn't have a backup, and removing the battery clears it. I have heard of this on other cars but can't remember what it was...transmission pops into my head for some reason.

In order to replace the battery you have to 'hold up' the voltage with an external source. At Toyota dealers, they have something like a battery charger that clamps securely onto the battery clamps so the battery can be removed. I would imagine a good battery charger would do the same thing, but make sure the connections don't come off until the battery is replaced.

Reply to
Hachiroku

have no clue.. I changed mine with a new battery just because I could... no problems...

Do you have the toyota warranty? you should be able to take it there to have it fixed.

Reply to
Go Mavs

I'm not needing to change the battery at the present time - the car is less than 6 months old. But sooner or later it's going to die.

Hachiroku's idea of attaching a battery charger had already crossed my mind. That and wrapping the positive terminal in tape while the switch was being made should prevent sparks.

I was just hoping a Toyota tech monitors this group and knew the reason.

Reply to
Screwtape III

The dealership probably has a supplemental battery to maintain power while the battery is being charged.

I'm not sure about the Yaris, but the usual reason to avoid disconnecting the battery is that some systems have to be re-initialized, like sunroof, navigation, theft deterrent system, etc.

Reply to
Ray O

Its another one of those toyota gimmicks that scare owners from buying a battery from a non dealer. I imagine the Yaris to be a car with very few maintenance requirement and this is one way to bring back the owners to the toyota dealer. why would they design a car like that? maybe next time you can't rotate your own tire or else face the consequences. I'm not sure about the 07 camry but I already took my battery off once and radio, sunroof still works, I didn't even bother check the manual before if the battery can't be disconnected.

Reply to
EdV