Camry 2001 vibration

Hello everyone,

in the past few weeks, the engine of my Camry (4-cylinder 2.2L) began to exibit a small but disturbing vibration at around 2000RPM. With the transmission in Park, it can easily be felt when I rev the engine at that rpm speed, there is a sort of resonance peek at 2000rpm. Unfortunalely, the engine revs at 2000 rpm when driving close to 60mph and, after 10 or 15 minutes driving at that speed, my foot on the accelerator got numbed :( A mechanic may not find anything abnormal if he is used to drive a sport car.

So... before going to any repair service, I'd like to get any suggestions of what may cause this problem. It could help me dealing with mechanics.

J. Hunter

Reply to
J. Hunter

First, when you bring a vehicle with a problem in for service it is always better to describe what is happening and let the shop diagnose the cause than tell them what you think needs repair. If their diagnosis is incorrect, they are responsible. If what you tell them to check or replace is incorrect, you are responsible.

Second, you will get dozens of suggestions from people who really don't know what they're talking about here.

That said, I'll tell you what I'd check if I were diagnosing a vibration that is in fact related to engine RPM and not related to vehicle speed or gear the transmission happens to be in and without knowing the general condition of the car or how many miles are on it:

Check the exhaust system for leaks, especially around the flex pipe; Check for broken or missing exhaust hangers; Check for something loose in the catalytic converter and muffler Check for bent, damaged, or loose heat shields; Check for bad engine or transmission mounts - not very likely cause on a 4 year old Camry. Check for torque converter problems - stall test, lockup operation, etc. - again, not very likely.

My recommendation is that you describe the condition as completely as possible to the service department and not ask them to check any specific items. They will probably suggest that they will check the stuff I've mentioned but let them do the diagnosis.

Reply to
Ray O