Camry vs Accord

See another post. I 'borrowed' one from work for a few days, and fit a bass amp and cabinet with 2-15" drivers, a small PA system, and another small amp in with no problems. Course, it only left the two front seats, but there were only 2 of us anyway.

Reply to
Hachiroku

On the contrary! There will be even MORE!!! (I *had* already thought of that! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Um, that would be ME ;P

Reply to
Hachiroku

I was just giving Hachiroku a playful joke since I recall reading that he likes CR. Telling Sharx a joke is like telling one to my father - after a half hour of explaining it, it's not so funny any more LOL!

Reply to
Ray O

It's a little odd, but I associate certain people with brands of spirits. One of my former co-workers used to always talk about getting a bottle of Crown Royal on the way home from work for special occasions and holidays so they come to mind when I hear "Crown Royal." I think of Raoul, the former service manager at Greenfield when Glenlivet comes up. The first time I'd had it was at his house.

Reply to
Ray O

Would you rather stand with an empty gas can and thumb for a ride to the nearest gas station or would you rather drive in stealth mode to the nearest gas station? If you trust yourself enough not to let that happen (and it does happen every day to hundreds of drivers) then you can trust the Prius even more since it hasn't happened at all.

Fuel cell cars will have batteries and regenerative braking, and variable speed transmissions too. The future doesn't look bright for scaredy cats.

Reply to
mark digital©

Are you sure? As far as I knew Panasonic provides consumer and aviation electronics products. No mention of hybrid batteries.

Reply to
mark digital©

Sounds like those episode-enders of BBC TV series "The Vicar of Dibley": the vicar always tries to explain a joke to her rather dim friend, who _never_ gets it, instead becoming tangled in an item of wordplay or some other irrelevance.

For the Christmas just gone, they broadcast a two-part "utterly final last episode ever", when that gag got a radical makeover.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Yeah--Toyota's *marketing* literature. To the marketing group, the life of the car is whenever the car becomes impractical to repair and you have to buy a new one.

Notice that they don't actually define how long the life of the car is. Nope--that would f*ck up the whole marketing concept.

The life of the car is what the life of the car is. And they get paid well to come up with this crap, too.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Can't argue about Toyota service being "crappy" I don't know about the rest of what he wrote though.

Also I wouldn't in any way call new Accords ride "harsh" They're not quite as quiet as a Camry , perhaps a little bumpier on bad roads ( we have some of the in metro Detroit !) But in no way would I call the the ride harsh . -Dana

Reply to
Dana

The issue is that even at 15% the dealer, and Toyota, can legitimately claim that the battery is still functional.

A NiMH battery maintains full capacity for about 500 charge/discharge cycles (according to the Panasonic site on their NiMH batteries), though longevity is related to the depth of discharge, and Toyota's controller doesn't allow deep discharge (which limits the range on electric power, but does lengthen the battery life). The Asian and European Priuses have a button that lets the driver run the batteries down much lower, but this button was not included on U.S. and Canadian models, presumably because it shortens the battery life (you can add it to U.S./Canadian models, see "

"). What is Toyota's definition of a defective battery? In non-automotive applications, a battery is deemed to be defective when it reaches less than 80% of capacity. Clearly Toyota must have a much lower threshold. It reminds me of how vehicle manufacturers specify acceptable levels of oil consumption, i.e. for Toyota it's 1 liter per 1500 km. They do this to get out of warranty repairs on engines, but clearly a newer Toyota that is consuming that much oil has some serious problems ("
"). For Li-Ion batteries, you get more cycles, but after two years from the manufacturing date the capacity drops off. I don't know if Electrovaya has solved this problem, in the batteries they supply to Hymotion for the Prius plug-in conversion kit.

Reply to
SMS

The batteries in the Hybrid are simply NiMH cells. Panasonic is a major manufacturer of these cells.

Reply to
SMS

Yeah, this reminds me of how Saturn used to say "the timing chain will last the life of the vehicle." It was very true, as many owners found out, but not in the way that Saturn implied.

Reply to
SMS

Ah, yes, exactly! ;-) Those were hysterical - Alice, IIRC? I wish my PBS station still carried "The Vicar of Dibley".

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Matsushita Electric's consumer products bear the brand name Panasonic. In addition to being a supplier of Toyota's hybrid batteries, Matsushita makes various consumer electronics like radios & TV's; electrical and electronic components (the capacitor in your home appliance may be made by Matsushita); home appliances like microwaves & refrigerators, & vacuum cleaners; they supply automotive OEM 12V batteries & audio systems; radiation dosimeters; factory automation; pretty much anything that uses electricity.

From one of Matsushita's annual reports, here is info about being a hybrid battery supplier:

Ray O

According to the faq section on Toyota's web site, the Prius will not operate in electric only mode without fuel in the tank. IOW, don't count on using stealth mode to get to the gas station after running out of fuel.

All transmissions vary speed to some extent, usually in steps; the Prius has a continuously variable transmission.

Most of the objections to hybrid drive systems that I've read seem to be the additional cost at acquisition and the high cost of battery pack replacement. In terms of fuel cost, the break-even point seems to be around

4 or 5 years, and so far, the cost of battery pack replacement has not come up, even with Prius taxis with well over 100,000 miles. Since nothing lasts forever, we will eventually get an idea of what useful battery life is. Knowing how Toyota tests stuff, my guess is that will be somewhere between 200k and 300k miles, IMO, a pretty reasonable life span ;-)
Reply to
Ray O

Having owned both a 1993 Accord and a 2004 Civic, I can say that newer Honda automatics shift more smoothly now than those of 10-20 years ago.

In recent years, however, Toyota automatics are somewhat more reliable, especially if comparing V6-powered models.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I'll be honest and up front. I think the new Vettes are ugly and I can't afford one without a sacrifice. I can't afford the upkeep. I can't afford the insurance. I can't afford having my wife bop me on the head if I brought one home. It burns thru too much gasoline for my taste. It would drain my bank account. But I was hoping for one for many years. In my mind there isn't anything special about other Toyotas. None of them turn me on. If there wasn't a Prius I'd still have $22,000 in the bank and still driving my old clunker. Cars aren't logical or rational and never meant to be an investment. If you break down the total cost of ownership per mile the Prius is extremely low when everything is factored in. But if the car isn't right for you that's fine.

Reply to
mark digital©

Q: How do you keep an Englishman from laughing in church?

A: Don't tell him any jokes on Wednesday.

Q: How do you keep an Englishman happy in his old age?

A: Tell him jokes when he's young.

Q: How many times does an Englishman laugh at a joke?

A: Three times. Once when you tell it to him. Again when you explain it to him and again, a few days later, when he figures it out.

Reply to
dh

Oops, I got Matsushita mixed up with Mitsubishi, although I did know that Panasonic is a division (or brand name) of Matsushita.

So my question should be, doesn't Mitsubishi also make NiMH battery packs for Toyota?

Reply to
Bill Tuthill