Why Accord over the Camry?

Dear Honda group members:

I am having a hard time trying to decide whether or not to buy a Camry SE V6 or Accord EX-V6

Just want to know if you guys can offer any expert opinions on why would you choose an Accord over the Camry?

Reply to
Benjamin Bootstrap

The big reason is that the Camry is a Japanese Buick, while the Accord absolutely goes to the other end of the "sporty" spectrum.

There's nothing wrong with the Japanese Buick concept, if that's what you like.

Down from that, the next reason would be your support mechanism. If you have good Toyota support (you like your dealer, friends/family have all had good experience with Toyota, you have a Toyota mechanic in the family, you have a good independent Toyota mechanic nearby, whatever), then get the Toyota. Likewise for Honda. Whatever you do, don't underestimate your support structure.

Don't drive an extra 30 minutes out of your way to get one car over the other, if it also means driving that extra 30 minutes to get service/warranty support.

After that, start looking at silly stuff that turns out not to be so silly. Consider the wife factor. Look at the controls. Listen to the stereo. Unlock the trunk. Put the rear seats down. Whatever.

In the end, it just doesn't matter--you could toss a coin and be happy with the winner.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Don't know about current models.

A few years ago:

handling - Accord sportiest - Accord ride - Camry noise level - Camry

Just my 2 cents.

Both fine cars

Have both Honda and Toyota in the garage.

Reply to
bad

I must say I agree with the handling part. I can drive a Honda off the highway ramp at 70 mph, and so far I can't do the same with any other brand.

Reply to
Benjamin Bootstrap

Color choice!

But at least on the Honda side, I'd really recommend the four cylinder.

Reply to
JRStern

I'll always say, a four cylinder Honda with a manual transmission is a bulletproof jewel of engineering and manufacturing.

Stick with what they know best, and that's the four bangers and manual trans.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Agreed. But, try to find a manual! My lease is up in November, maybe I'd better schlepp over to the dealer now and order one. Though I've been driving the automatics for a couple of trade-ins now, wonder if I remember how to shift.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Honda makes it fairly easy, even for certified used.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

their old auto transmissions on their 4-cylinders weren't bad either. friends had an accord with 360k miles on original.

Reply to
jim beam

very good comparison.

Reply to
jim beam

I have had two Accords , an `86 and a `92 4cyl auto matics.

My present car is a `02 Camry -4 auto,bought after my `02 was totaled.

Both Accords had well over 350,000 K on them with no engine or tranny problems.

however I have to say I always take my cars in twice a year for an oil/ filter change Mobil 1, 5w30,)and they check the car over at that time.

I also have the tires rotated twice a year when I get the oil changed

The `86 had two ball joits and one tie rod end replaced over the years.

The `86 was hard on brakes , not so the `92.

As far as I can tell with my driving experience ?

The accords were sportier to drive and handle but more maintanance required than my present `02 Camry.

All I have done to my Camry , (bought used 3 years ago with 95,000k on it and 147,000 k now) is change oil/filter, antifreeze, a/c unit leak and flex exhaust pipe at converter.

New tires (Michelins)were installed at purchase time by dealer and new brakes as well.

As far as driving the Camry its not as sporty to drive and handle as an Accord but maintenence is much less and its a great highway car for long trips as some of my trips involve 1600-1700 miles one way.Very comfortable Much more comfortable than the Accords as .well over a long driving day.

The bonus , is all my Japanese cars were made in Japan.

Hope this helps .

Reply to
mred

If you're down to a coin toss, do the country a favor and buy a car assembled in the US. Honda and Toyota build these models in the US, but that may not imply that ALL Accords and Camrys sold in the US are built here. Check the VIN number. The first number represents the country of origin: 1=US, 2=Canada, 3=Mex.

Reply to
Greg Campbell

P.S.

4xxx and 5xxx are also US built.
Reply to
Greg Campbell

Last I knew, 4-bangers were built in Japan, at least those sold on the left coast. Darn it.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

My 4-Banger was built in CA, IIRC. The only thing in the car built in JP was the tranny...

Reply to
Joe