AT fluid goof?! 2003 Corolla

I did a drain-and-fill on my '03 Corolla. I measured the amount of fluid that came out, and it was 4.5 quarts. I added 4.5 quarts, but now the level on the dipstick is WAY over the cold or hot marks. How is that possible? Will I damage the transmission if I drive the car?

Reply to
Adam Corolla

Did you drain the engine and fill the trans?

Yes, you will damage the car. The engine will not enjoy running without oil, and the trans will not appreciate having too much. My guess is the engine will give up first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A good guess based on the info I gave, but not accurate. I drained the oil at the same time into a different container.

Reply to
Adam Corolla

Yes, stop and correct the level. Of course, you used the T-IV fluid, right? A drain and fill will be more than 2 qts, but less than 3

Reply to
Liberals=Angry Losers!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I re-drained the AT, added three quarts, checked it and it was low, added one more half-quart and it was at the "full cold" mark, drove 45 minutes to work, checked again and it was at the "full hot" mark. I just hope I didn't do any damage when it was overfilled.

Reply to
Adam Corolla

My neighbor has a Camry, and he drained the trans thinking it was the engine, then filled the motor with more oil. His wife said the car wouldn't go, so she parked it, thank God.

I have to wonder if you did the same thing, or the variation - drain the engine and fill the trans. You said you didn't, but this is the easiest explanation I can come up with.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Probably not. Live long and prosper.

Reply to