Cant get tires off.

98 corolla VE, 90,000 miles. Both rear tires wont budge. lug nuts off and sprayed with WD40. Pounded rims with a rubber mallet.Stuck a pry bar through the rims and applied pressure between the wheel and the brake drum. Kicked the tires!!! I can move up to metal hammers but I dont want to damage the wheels?? Or shouldnt I be able to back off the brake adjuster and then slide the drum off with the wheel still stuck on it? Then I could really whack it.. I'm guessing its the center ring stuck to the ring on the wheel??

Any help?

TIA Steve

Reply to
steve

steve wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nope. Wheel is rusted to the drum/hub.

It's a Honda site, but this question is applicable to any car.

TeGGeR®

I have heard of the loosen/drive technique and the reported results have been good.

Reply to
ma_twain

You need something with lots of momentum like a 6 foot chunk of 6x6 timber or length of tree trunk , and use it like a battering ram on the side of the tire / rim edge. e.g. I have a wooden car ramp thats serves the purpose when a wheel is stsuck.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

"" wrote: > 98 corolla VE, 90,000 miles. > Both rear tires wont budge. > lug nuts off and sprayed with WD40. Pounded rims with a rubber > mallet.Stuck a pry bar through the rims and applied pressure > between > the wheel and the brake drum. Kicked the tires!!! I can move > up to > metal hammers but I dont want to damage the wheels?? > Or shouldnt I be able to back off the brake adjuster and then > slide > the drum off with the wheel still stuck on it? Then I could > really > whack it.. > I'm guessing its the center ring stuck to the ring on the > wheel?? > > Any help? > > TIA > Steve

take it to les schwab, have them rotate your tires, they will do it for free. then they will of broken loose, and u can take it home and do whatever it was u were starting.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

Have you tried jacking up the car?? You didn't mention that you did this.

Seriously, assuming you have it jacked up, you can use the weight of the car to get them loose if you are careful. Just put the nuts back on and thread them in most of the way . Then slowly lower the car onto the tires . The weight of the vehicle should losen them.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Do you have access to a second jack? If so, try using the jack to separate the wheel. Just place the second jack between the wheel and a suspension piece. As slowly as possible, keep turning the wrench to expand the jack. Make sure you are out of the path of the wheel should it come out with more velocity than you'd like.

Reply to
Viperkiller