Brake drum hell!

Replaced the tie rod ends couple weeks ago. Tires bald...

Need new front tires. Finally find a place that has 165-15's IN STOCK... Go to tire place against my better judgement with the car instead of just taking the rims in. They put my '66 on the lift... cringe... I asked for them to use floor jacks. Thank god they didn't run the lift up through my floor pans, then they put the HUGE impact gun to the wheel locks on my EMPI's screwed up 3 of them... ok cheap ones from Auto zone. Put new tires on rims - thankfully no scratches or gouges in the aluminum. put new tires on car and brrr brrrr brrr with the impact from hell and they pull not only one but 2 studs out of the drum... I asked them to tightened the lugs by hand... damnit! I thought they broke the studs.

Now each wheel is missing a lug (locks) and one front wheel is missing 2 studs. the studs held, but they pulled the threads right out of the drum!!! I cant drive my car without thinking that the ones will pull out causing the wheel to fly off!

what the hell!! now I suppose I need a new brake drum... actually 2. (always replace in pairs for wheel and brake stuff) My drums have the type stud that threads into the drum. 12mm x 1.5.

This sucks. I suppose I needed new drums any way because I think one of the front ones was warped and I don't know if they had been turned before. but now I have to spend $55 a piece for German drums. Great and this close to Christmas, and I still need a front end alignment.

Has that happened to anyone? Threads pulling out of the drums?!!! I haven't. UNLESS maybe some one had screwed them up before and put in heli-coils.

Anyway - Merry Christmas to the damn tire monkey that screwed up my drums... BAH Humbug.

Moral of the story.... Watch where you take your antique VW too. Getting new tires? take the rims off and take them into the tire place - leave the car at home.

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."****************************************************************
Reply to
dragenwagen

If you requested that they tighten the lugs by hand and they still used an impact, I'd hold them responsible for at least part of the damage. Maybe they'd be willing to offset part of the cost? Andy

Reply to
Busman

I think you mentioned alum wheels. I think problems like this seem to happen MUCH more often when the lug bolts (you don't have studs) are too short for your wheels. With too little thread engagement, there is too much stress on the remaining threads and they can strip out.

I agree with you on the air impact wrenches. I take my torque wrench with me and torque them myself after they have loosely installed the bolts.

-

Jim Adney