Car runs after key is removed.

My 89 Corolla engine runs for a few seconds after shutdown. What would cause this,and how can fix it? Thanks

Reply to
Herb

timing slightly off or carbon build-up. Try running through a dose of injector cleaner....

Reply to
john

Or, if its a turbo D, it could be oil getting past its seals. This happened on my brothers Citroen and eventually left it to over-rev itself to death.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

FWIW I've heard this referred to as "dieseling" (back in the 60s, it was). Our family's venerable petrol-engined Packard, after a rugged day of grinding through the heat of a South French summer, ran on as you describe. Not sure we actually did anything except enjoy the phenomenon, conditions being somewhat exceptional.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson