Carolla side mirror

My son has a '98 Corolla sedan and recently it was vandalised by some moron trying to break off the outside mirror. As far as I can see the only problem is a spring that makes the mirror snap back in to place if its'hit has been stretched. Toyota will not sell the spring alone and want $300+ for a new mirror. Does any one know how to remove the mirror glass with out breaking it so I can replace the spring? Thanks in advance, Bill Archer.

Reply to
Bill Archer

My experience is with Toyotas from the 80's, but the glass used to just snap out of the housing. It has three 'balls' that snap into recepticles in the housing.

At least, that's the way they USED to do it! Maybe someon else can verify this.

But BE CAREFUL!!!! They are REALLY tight, and I have broken a couple mirros doing this! On one car, I replaced the spring, and then, snapping the glass back in, it broke. But, it broke towards the outer 1/3 and bent back, so I could set that mirror up so I had no blind spot. A bit of serendipity there.

Reply to
Hachiroku