Accord wing mirror question

My Accord Type R wing mirror has been vandalised - the glass is shattered but the mirror body, by some miracle, is 100% in tact and the electrics still work. Problem is, it's not fixed on the stalk anymore. Nothing is damaged or cracked, but it either hangs by the wire or can be slotted back on the stalk, where it stays, but has no resistance to moving forward or back (and can be taken off upwards, so I wouldn't trust it at speed).

Now obviously I would like to just get new glass rather than pay £150 for a new mirror body. Brought it down to my local Honda dealership and one of their staff (not an engineer, it was late on Saturday) had a look and said if the spring had come off it would need a new entire mirror. This seems horrific considering what appears to be an almost perfect mirror.

Can anyone offer any advice? The spring is still there, it's just rattling around on the stalk. Not quite sure how it's meant to be.

al