Celica Clutch Burning Smell

I just read your post about your burning clutch smell...I just bought a 2000 Celica, and granted it has 98000 miles on it, it is making the burning smell...The outside/inside of the car is immaculate, the previous owner took wonderful care of it...Whenever you give the car more than the adequate amount of gas to get it moving, i experience the burning smell as well...I still have a 30 day warranty on the car so I am going to have it looked at...but when I rev the car in nuetral there is absolutely no smell...so I know it has to be the clutch...I also smell more of it when in reverse...hopefully the dealer will help me out and not give me the run around about it! : )

Reply to
bdelaney820

Yes, your clutch has to be replaced, AND the flywheel machined to get it flat again. Do not let anyone tell you different. Carefully read the terms of your 30 day warranty, to see what is actually covered. Its not impossible that the clutch is excluded, along with a whole lot of other stuff. Used car warranties are notorious for covering things that almost never happen (eg catastrophic internal failure that causes something to make its way out of the engine or trans), and excluding those that mostly do (eg timing belts, and "normal" auto transmission failures).

Replacing the clutch is not a particularly difficult job. A decent rebuilt parts kit is about $250, flywheel machining about $80, and 4-5 hours labour. The engine does NOT have to come out of the car: just remove the axles and drop the transmission.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS mumbled incoherently to the rest of alt.autos.toyota:

Depends how bad the OPs driving is - if the clutch doesnt slip in 5th with the foot to the floor its likely just bad clutch/throttle control.

Reply to
Coyoteboy