check eng lite: 06 Xa

hi guys,

i am just a tourist on this ng, but hoping to get some advise. i recently bought a 06 Scion Xa and within a few days the check engine light came on with 5 evap system codes. the car has just 18k miles , p.o. got it jan 16 06. i now see that consumer reports saya there is a problem with the fuel system with 06 Xa's so i wonder where i should be looking, ( i tried the filler cap and reset the codes once).

thanks for any constructive comments, peter in CT

Reply to
peter

Isn't it under warranty?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

i wonder being the second owner peter ps how is wilber

Reply to
peter

What was the original date of sale? Many emission system components have a longer warranty than the basic warranty (see your owner's guide). The dealer should be able to tell you whether or not your car is still covered. The original warranty transfers with the car, so there is a good chance a problem with the emissions system is covered.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I guess that is one reason we see so many Scions on the used car lots of other brands.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Emissions systems are warranteed for, IIRC 10 years. I would bring it to the dealer.

The original warranty was 3 years/36,000 miles. Like CE said, check the original date of purchase.

Also, if the car was bought by you from a dealer and was a "Certified Used...er, Toyota..." there should be an extended warranty that came with it. It has to have been a Certified Used Toyota, or, if the original ourchaser bought the extended warranty package then it is transferrable to you.

Check this out. 18,000 miles is not a lot of miles to be throwing codes...

Reply to
Hach

Toyota/Scion warrants the vehicle, not the owner. If the vehicle is within the 36 month, 36,000 miles warranty period, diagnosis and repair should be covered. The emissions warranty coverage period is even longer, so chances are, you can get the problem fixes.

Reply to
Ray O

hi, the codes i get are:

P2043E Evap Sys Leak Orifice Low Flow P2043F Evap Sys Leak Orifice Hi Flow P2401 Evap Sys Leak Circuit Low P2402 Evap Sys Leak Circuit High P2419 Evap Sys Switching Valve Circuit Low

the dealer said it would be a $92.50 diag charge, (even if it is a warranty issue? Oh, no, not then). they said it is the charcoal canister and filler neck (that seems odd but...) so next week they will have the pats and "fix" it under warranty i wonder why this happened and if there is any way to prevent a re-occurrence?

thanks peter

Reply to
peter

The cause of the check engine light is not a loose gas cap. The charcoal canister traps the evaporative emissions (gas fumes) and stores the fumes for the engine to burn. There is a hose between the charcoal canister in the engine compartment and the fuel filler neck, and I think this problem has cropped up before. The replacement parts should cure the problem, but to be sure, try to avoid topping of the tank. Constantly topping off the tank can contaminate the charcoal canister.

Reply to
Ray O

this has happen before with my wife cross threading a cap on a different car tho.

The charcoal

The replacement parts should cure the problem, but

hard to say for sure as the car is new to me. let you know next week after toyot fixes it. peter

Reply to
peter

I don't actually *know* the rationale for standardizing the OBD II system, but I do know that it is an SAE standard. I haven't kept up my membership in the SAE, but they weren't a consumer advocacy group back when I was a member, and I doubt that they are now. The SAE, being a group of engineers, does like to have things standardized as engineers often do. The automakers benefit from the standard because much of the research and engineering is already done for them.

From my experience in the car business, my guess is that the independent service industry lobbied the SAE for one interface that they could buy, instead of having to purchase several different scanners while the auto dealer service departments could get away with scanners just for their brands. Of course, the independent service industry is going to say that it helps the consumer because the independent shops give the dealers competition, and competition is good for the consumer. I agree with the principle behind having a standardized interface and that competition is good for the consumer, but what I've noticed is that many independent shops lack the diagnostic skills to interpret the DTC's and just swap the component identified by the DTC instead of checking the component's function. Dealers send their technicians to factory classes so that they keep current with the technology in vehicles and also learn how to properly diagnose and repair various conditions. Many independent shops do not send their employees to continuing education, as evidenced by their low success rate in diagnosing anything other than a simple component swap. IOW, what should have been a good thing by having a standard DTC and interface hasn't quite come to fruition.

The independent service industry is lobbying lawmakers for "right to repair" laws where automakers have to make proprietary information available to them, in addition to the factory service manuals that are already available. The automakers' counter to this argument is that they invested a lot of time, money, and resources to develop, test, and produce the proprietary information and that they should be able to keep it to themselves just like anything that someone in any other industry would be able to do. I tend to agree. Just because an I pod is wildly popular doesn't mean that Apple has to license their design to anyone who wants it.

Reply to
Ray O

Technically, there was no OBD I standard. Each automaker had their own proprietary diagnostic system and codes. You didn't even need a code scanner to pull codes from a Toyota OBD I system. All you needed was a paper clip to short the check terminals. The lack of a standard was the reason for OBD II.

Service facilities charged a service fee to pull trouble codes from OBD I systems because most consusmers couldn't figure out how to pull them and so they were willing to pay a fee. The easy availability and use of OBD II scanners have made people less willing to pay a fee, and so the market place has started to move away from fees to just plug a scanner in.

I have not tried to pull OBD I codes from a vehicle other than a Toyota, but Toyota's scheme seemed pretty easy to me. The codes were consistent from Toyota to Toyota, and a paper clip cost a lot less than even the cheapest OBD II scanner. The method for checking components identified by the DTC's haven't changed. The only drawback I see with Toyota's OBD I system is that it was not as comprehensive as OBD II, and the codes are not published in as many web pages as OBD II.

Reply to
Ray O

There is no such thing

OBD2 is not an SAE standard, it is an EPA emissions standard. Within that standard are SAE defined communication protocols, defined DLC shape and defined DLC pin configurations.

Not true.

They charged a service fee for the time it took and the service they provided. Still do.

You understand wrong. The EPA criteria for OBD 2 is that the MIL be illuminated when the system detects that emissions are exceeding federal standards by a factor of 1.5

Cardiologists charge fees for the problems caused by cholesterol.

Rubbish.

The same scan tool does some stuff on all the cars you own. Different (multiple) scan tools are still a necessity for truly effective repairs.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

There was no published standard because there was no standard. The service procedures fro extracting codes certainly were published in numerous ways by numerous entities.

What product did Toyota build that had a Chevy name plate?

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

It has nothing to do with your tongue.

Nope.

It should be easy to see why Starbucks charges for a cup of coffee.

Rubbish.

Perfectly fair.

Yes, the cost of a paper clip certainly put them over a barrel.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I hope you didn't kick it out to another shop, intake gaskets on a Windfart is a gravy job.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

hi, scion of wallinford, ct fixed my scion today at no cost and sooner than they said so i am happy, thanks for your comments, peter

Reply to
peter

Here in Tejas they don't even sniff my 05 corolla for emissions. Totally OBD II tested.. So that makes sense..

It wouldn't surprise me if the OP's car has had the gas tank filled to the brim, or overflowed in the recent past. That happened to mine, and it eventually dried out and fixed itself. Ditto for the OBD II.. I let it clear itself.. I never reset it after all that happened. I recently had it inspected and it flew through without a hitch. So I assume the data from the evap problem has long since been purged. Seems like it takes about 40 cycles or so I think, but I fergot.. It had a few months to overwrite the old stuff...

Reply to
nm5k

Vehicles with OBD II are tested via OBD II, while non-OBD II vehicles are usually sniffed.

It takes 2 cycles without a fault to purge the memory for an OBD II vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

I was thinking it was about that many for each part being tested, but I was thinking there was a overall "history" being written separately, that took more cycles to purge, but maybe not.. It's been a while since I read up on OBD II so I'm getting kinda foggy on it. At one time I thought about getting a scanner, but with the autozone nearby doing it for free, I couldn't see the point in wasting the money. I'm pretty sure a car with OBD II freshly reset will fail the test here. It has to run through a few cycles before you take it in for the test.

Reply to
nm5k

That is the way it is in NJ anyway. If you reset the OBDII by pulling the fuse it wipes the memory but leaves a 'not ready' situation when read by the inspection station. I tried to slime my way through with the Sienna that way to avoid them picking up a code and I failed because of that 'not ready' situation. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes