Re: Shell, BP, Exxon

Shell, BP, Exxon, have reported record profits in the last couple of > years.

> > Thoughts?

If you buy less gas, they will make less money. If you think you can't buy less gas, then you aren't thinking.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I wish more people would think like that. I am doing my best to reduce my fuel use. I suspect most people with cars could reduce fuel usage by 10% if they would just make the effort. A sudden 10% drop in gasoline usage would do more to hurt oil company profits than all the BS spouted by politicians.

At the moment I am finding myself yelling at the Hillary commercials on TV. She is now co-opting John McCain's idea to eliminate the gas tax to help "struggling" Americans. The twist is, she is going to pay for it by extorting the money from the evil oil companies. What a load of crap. Of all the taxes I pay, I find the gasoline tax to be the least offensive. At least in theory it goes to help build and maintain roads (at least it used to before politicians needed the money to cover bad the debt generated by bad ideas).

A couple of weeks back, Hillary responded to a question about high gas prices with a rambling illogical reply about ending America's dependence on "foreign oil." I'd like to see how that is going to lower gas prices. We have at least one Senatorial candidate in my state (NC) who plans to end our dependence on foreign oil as well. Horses*!t.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In message news:48186c4a$1@kcnews01, "C. E. White" burned some brain cells writing:

All the while casting vote after vote after vote AGAINST domestic exploration and production.

Reply to
Klark Kent

Ride mountain bike, get sqaushed by illegal mexxkin driving drunk, without a driver's license, insurance or brakes on his 79 Chebby Peekup. But, look at the bright side, you saved a quart of gas.

Reply to
BurtonUrny

BINGO !! And the kook,moonbat,kool-aid lovers on the left think Piglosi and her pack of wolves"feel their paaainnnn".LMFAO !!!

Reply to
BurtonUrny

Would it be correct to say that if you reduce the taxes on gasoline by $0.xx a gallon and extort $0.xx a gallon from the oil companies to reimburse the government for its "loss", that a responsible oil company will be forced (by good business practices) to charge $0.xx more per gallon at the pump? IOW - just another liberal feel-good shell (pun not intended) game.

Bill Putney

McCain is correct and there is no current need to recoup the money that would be lost by not collecting the current $0.0184 federal gas tax on gasoline or the $0.24 tax on diesel fuel

Why, one may ask? There are several BILLIONS of unused dollars in the Federal Highway Trust Fund. The fact is the Congress annually appropriates only a fraction of the money coming into that fund annually, because when Eisenhower got the feds to create the Federal Interstate highway system he was smart enough to insist that the fund could NOT be use for anything, but BUILDING new federal highways, NOT even for repairs or maintenance and the feds are currently building very few miles of federal highways.

The federal tax could easily be reduced permanently by 15c and 19c respectively without hurting the FHTF one iota, but we all know the DIMS only raise taxes to buy the votes of the masses

The largest percentage of the funds disbursed by the trust funds annually actually goes to mass transit in our cities because some sharp congressmen and senators convinced the people it would save "them" on building federal roads

Reply to
Mike hunt

Yes, the Republicans (DIMS) do raise taxes to buy the votes of the republicans. Even the first President Bush (Read my lips) raised taxes.

Good. You can give NYC billions of dollars for new highways, but, guess, what? It won't help NYC a bit. And other cities, like Philadelphia, Chicago and Boston and our nation's capital have good public transit systems. In these cities, the buses and trans reduce the number of cars on the roads, save gas and greatly reduce congestion. I know how messed up NYC was when the transit system went on strike; the city changed allowed people to share cabs to different points and didn't allow cars with just one person in them enter the city south 96th St. Frankly, there is no way you can have big cities like NYC without the public transportation.

So, IMHO, spending tax dollars on public transportation is money well spent.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Maybe you need give the old Corolla a tune up ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Mass transportation does'nt work well in all cities.Houston for example is too spread out.

Reply to
BurtonUrny

That is one would expect that type of logic from you.

The federal government does not "give" N.Y. anything for roads. What they do is "return some of the money" from the New Yorkers that they paid in gas taxes to build those roads.

You forget the federal highway fuel tax, as are most state fuel taxes, are "user taxes" paid by the person using the service provided. Those that use public transportation do not pay ANY user tax, they just get a free ride. By your logic those that buy larger vehicles should get a federal subsidy because they carry more passenger miles

Reply to
Mike hunt

When did I say that the federal government gives NY anything for roads. I was making a hypothetical comment about why giving NYC money for highways would not be an effective use of the money.

Considering that I pay $81 per month to use the NYC Transit subways and buses, it is not a free ride. No, I never suggested that larger vehicles should get a subsidy.

I won't respond to any more of your stupid posts in this thread. Your posts are not worth my time.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yes, I know.