Chirping on Tercel

I have a 98 Tercel CE and I find an intermittent chirping that sounds like it's coming from the front right (?). The frequency of the chirping varies with the speed on the car (from birdlike chirping at

20km/h or so to siren-like at 60+km/h ... coming to a stop sounds like some kind of pathetic animal in pain) -- no sounds when idling or when revving up in neutral. Maybe bumps or turning corners increases the squeaking, but I'm not convinced.

I've had people tell me it could be a belt, or wheel bearings, or other things. Last time I took it into a mechanic they didn't hear anything and couldn't say what it was ... like I said, sometimes it's not there.

Any ideas?

Reply to
judoworm

I had a similar problem for YEARS on my Corolla. I eventually got smart and raised the rubber bumpers for the hood and got the hinges for the hood to stop squeaking. Try bouncing your hood up and down with the hood latched. It shouldn't move at all. If it does, try adjusting the latch or bumpers.

Reply to
someone

Sometimes a voltage regulator going bad can make a clicking or chirping sound.

Reply to
timbirr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Check your brakes. Probably the squeal tab, meaning the pads are worn down.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

I listened closely to my car yesterday... and, to use more evocative language, I think it's more like a whistling than a chirping. (It's definitely a squeak, that is, something rubbing, and not a literal whistling, but it kind of sounds like a whee-whee-whee-whee).

And it makes this noise while driving, not while I'm braking, so I don't think it's that my brake pads are worn out. I checked the hood and that seems fine. Like I said the sound correlates with the speed of the turning of my wheels. I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm just seeing if by chance this is identifiable by description. Thanks again.

Reply to
judoworm

If the sound goes away when you brake then it is probably the brake pads or disk.

Reply to
badgolferman

Brake wear sensors stop making noise when you step on the brakes. Check how much brake pad you have left.

Reply to
someone