Corolla burns oil...How about a Matrix instead?

OK, I know you can't diagnose this online for me, but maybe someone can give me a better idea than my local Toyota dealer. I have a 1999 five speed Corolla (~140,000) that seems to run reasonably well, but goes through a couple quarts of oil every few thousand miles (Mobil One no less; car has good taste). There doesn't seem to be smoke on start-up nor when driving normally, but when I'm in neutral or reverse and hit the accelerator, I smell stinky Mobil One smoke. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but a few months ago, I let the car sit for about ten days, then started it up. The engine made terrible banging sound for a bit, then ran fine, and I've never heard those horrible noises since. The dealer is talking big bucks to fix the car; rings, stem seals, etc. without any tests at this point. Several years ago, the engine was overfilled with oil...it's only 3.75 quarts or so, and the dealer tried to stuff in five quarts. If it is a couple of thousand to fix, how long can I run it before it gives out on me (assuming I keep feeding it Mobile One).

OR...should I trade it in while I can on a Matrix, which is really just a bloated Corolla.

Reply to
conneticat

Once you go Matrix you won't go back!

I have Pontiac Vibe, which is that same car, and I love it.

Reply to
John Karpich

The Matrix is the Corolla station wagon. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I prefer the 08 Scion Xb over the matrix.

Reply to
EdV

...tC...

Reply to