Design flaw in Corollas

I was driving home from walmart yesterday, it was raining and my coat was damp and when I got in the warm car the back window fogged up. I almost panicked but got to thinking what would Jane do? I cut the fan belt to the AC compressor, removed the windshield and bought a pair of goggles.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

The recirculation button will not remain depressed when in defrost mode. This is a safety issue.

If you need a roasting hot car let it run a few min with the heat set on floor and recirculation b4 driving.

Your previous post stated that it rarely gets very cold where you are, so I wonder just how cold it really is when you start driving. If it is extremely cold and you want your car to warm up quickly, install a cardboard winter front. However, I'm inclined to think that your problem might be more easily solved by dressing for the season.

Reply to
GM homepc

The switch is optional. You just need to find someone who can install it.

Just interrupt the circuit from terminal 11 at the AC amplifier with a toggle switch. Easy peasy!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I think I've found the problem here, you are pushed over the edge too easily.

The Recirc flap issue could be the failure that is the problem for you.

In any case, there's no design flaw. They made it the way they made it, and it works as intended. You can be sure that there were Design Review Meetings on the subject, and they expended some effort to make the system the way they made it.

The logic of making it that way escapes me, and you too, but it is what it is and it works right.

Set the dial to Floor until the car warms up, you'll like it better than what you do now.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Try to get a wiring diagram of the car. I've found that the diagrams from AllData, Haynes, and Chilton are inaccurate, and only the factory and Mitchell manuals have good diagrams. PDFtown.com may have the factory manual for free. There may be a micro-switch that turns on the compressor, and disconnecting or moving it may stop the goofy actions. You should be able to get to it if you can remove the HVAC controls.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

+1
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

LOL! Well I hope you're not speaking for the people in your immediate vicinity, but most people are at average or above in IQ. :)

Reply to
Jane_Galt

I was driving around this afternoon and a huge frontal system came roaring through. It got cold fast and was raining and then sleeting some. So the temp must have dropped below the 40 and the compressor shut off and the windows started fogging up fast, and I had to switch the compressor on by hand. The irony! LOL!

Reply to
Jane_Galt

What?!

Reply to
Jane_Galt

I'd hafta look at a wiring diagram with someone from the dealership who can do it for me ( I'm too old and my back is too, to be crawling under dashes ) and decide what to snip and where. They'd probably charge me a fortune.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

They sure hosed THAT one up! LOL

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Must be a new thing then. Shoulda bought a nice rebuilt 93.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

You don't get out much, do you.

You also don't know much about IQ and how it's measured.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I just told you which wire to use.

What about the neighborhood mechanic who pulled the misfire codes for you? This isn't rocket surgery.

The AC amplifier is above the glove box. 8-) FWIW, I'm 56, I have had both legs broken (18 pins and rods total, down from 23) my left knee replaced, my back broken, all the bones in my face broken, numerous broken ribs, three heart attacks, quad bypass,

2 stents, 3 angioplasties, 5 cardiac catheterizations, and I still crawl under dashes every day, for 8 years I did it with _severe_ vertigo.

It all depends on how badly you want it...

Three options; pay, disconnect the relay or live with it the way it is which means you may have to move your right hand to the HVAC controls and manipulate them a bit.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Been that way for the last 30+ years.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"manipulate the controls"?? You HERETIC!

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What you are doing (or trying to do is silly). No matter what you think, the AC compressor will not run if the evaporator temeprature is below 35 degrees F or so. So on a cold day, it is just isnn't going to run at least until the underhood temperature is above freezing. Snipping the control wires will do nothing except introduce a failure point.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well my 95 Corolla must be older than 30 then. Maybe I'll go down to the SoS and file for Antique Plates.

Charles Grozny

Reply to
Charles Grozny

I wouldn't rush down there too quick.

Looking at the AC wiring diagram, your AC can be switched on in any mode. (that gives you control of humidity as Mike pointed out)

Reply to
aarcuda69062