Design flaw in Corollas

Yep. That's one of the reasons I like my old Corolla. The one thing I don't like about it is air bags. Just another example of nanny-statism like we're stupid children that never grow up. Well I guess if the liberals have seen Joe S#$%forbrains they'd be right.

Charles Grozny

Reply to
Charles Grozny

Doesnt take much to know that

Reply to
Jane_Galt

As I already explained, on a 45 degree day, when the engine is cold, the AC comes on. Why should I have to freeze while it warms up, or pre-warm the engine to avoid it?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Why do you turn on the heater OR the defroster before the engine warms up? The engine will warm up faster if you leave them off until the temperature needle gets off the peg.

Reply to
Phxbrd

ummm...."most people are at average or above in IQ".

You really don't know how it's measured and reported, do you.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Turn the heat control to hot and be happy. Screwing up you A/C contols will not fix your concern. The outside air is already cold. If you move the temperature control knob to hot, very little air will go through the A/C evaporator and the air coming out of the vents will essentially be at the temeprature of the outdie air. If this is too cold, then leave the system off until the engine warms up a little.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Don't turn it on then.

Why? Because you live in an area where the temperature drops to 45 degrees.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I don't know about your old Corolla, but my Sisters' RAV4s and my Mom's Highlander have the seperate A/C control buttons, but they still run the A/C compressor on warmer days when you turn on the defrost, no matter whether the A/C button is engaged or not (so does my F150 with a separate A/C button).

On cold days, no matter what you think, the A/C compressor is not going to run if the underhood temperature is under 35 degrees or so, even if the defrost mode allows it to run on warmer days.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

temperature

Makes no discernable difference with that. We're talking thousands of watts of engine heat.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Automatic climate control. What wont they think of next?

Maybe a car that goes where it's designed by Tokyo to go, instead of where we want it to go?

Reply to
Jane_Galt

We want a little heat! The car is supposed to be OUR PROPERTY, why cant we do what WE want with it?!

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Wrong, The heater core is identical in all but size to your radiator core. They're both designed to do the exact same thing - dissipate heat. Opening the coolant valve to the heater core dissipates heat as soon as the thermostat opens - if not sooner on some cars.

Reply to
Phxbrd

Laws of physics.

The heater works on the principle of circulating hot coolant thru a heat exchanger, the source of that heated coolant is the combustion process. The coolant does not reach optimal temperature instantly, it takes time for the heat to transfer into the coolant to the point where sufficient heat can be outputted by the heater.

The typical solution to a dilemma such as yours is a remote starter.

Where I live, the temperature ranges from -25 to + 108, both of our daily driver vehicles work exactly as your vehicle. On a cold day cold start up, we tough it out until the temperature gauge begins to move off of the bottom of the scale... It's just something one must put up with when they live in a cold climate.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

In message , Mike writes

Really, this name is for you, top poster.

Reply to
Clive

Turn on the heat then. As long as you don't put the vents on defrost, the compressor will not run. I don't see how this is so difficult to understand. After a few minutes, the air will be warm and you can turn it to defrost if needed. Note that using the heat in the normal heat mode usually also diverts a small amount of air to the windshield in most cases. The rest goes to the floor area. I rarely ever need to use the defrost mode. So in my case, I almost never see the compressor come on in the winter. No defrost mode, no compressor. Repeat that as a mantra over and over and over... sheesh... It boggles the mind.. :/ BTW, I don't know about yours, but my 05 takes about two minutes to start producing detectable heat. After about 5 minutes, it's feeling pretty warm.

Reply to
nm5k

It's not. What's difficult to understand is why automakers have to take control of our cars, and why people are so docile about it.

Oh well, so someone else controls my car for me now.

Oh well, the government is molesting everyone at the airports now.

Oh well, the government is requiring me to wear a GPS so they can track my every movement.

That's not the point nimrod. In previous cars, like my 93 Corolla, I leave the vents switched between floor and windshield all season, along with the recirc mode. I get in the car and the heat is automatically on when it's

45, it just needs the engine to warm up, which takes a few blocks of driving. It does not freeze me or my feet for that few blocks, and I dont have to mess with ANYTHING. Get it?

Yes, people like you do. You're so willing to have someone else run every detail of your life, that you dont even question it anymore, in fact you question those who object to it. Apparently Japan is made up of people just like you. Good little servile, now run along, wont you, before I call the police and tell them that your speech offended me.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

So your setting is for air to be split between floor and windshield? And you leave it there year round?

What about the fan?

While the engine is heating up, is the fan on or off?

Do you leave the fan on when you exit the car? In which case, it's blowing cold air at you until the engine warms up.

Or do you FIDDLE with the fan switch to turn it off until the car is warm, and then back on when you know it can blow heat?

Why can't you achieve this with your current car? I can. I can turn all automatic controls off, and set the temperature and fan and airflow to where I want it and it sits there. Doesn't move.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes I do. You are too lazy to turn a knob. That is a personal problem. But it's a problem that in the overall scheme of things, I could care less about. So I guess it's a problem you will have to deal with on your own. Cut the wire, rip out the compressor, I could care less. It's your vehicle and you have every right to booger it up in any fashion you like.

You obviously don't know me very well. I have not questioned you about anything. Why? Because in the overall scheme of things, I really could care less. I didn't get my panties in a twist because a company designed a feature to work properly and actually clear the glass before the next president is elected.

There are very few people in Japan that are like me. They don't have very many rednecks in Japan. And the few rednecks they do have, are imitation rednecks and not really comparable to a true Texas redneck. We are the trendsetters in redneck style, behavior, and mojo, and all others are just plastic imitations not even worthy of serious consideration.

BTW, I think you should call the police right this very minute and tell them that I said I could give a flying fark if my speech offends you, them, or any other mentally impaired individuals that may be taking notes for posterity.

Reply to
nm5k

No, all winter. Then in the summer we put the air out the vents between the floor and the front.

?

Well if the AC isnt on when it's 45 degrees ( like in the 93 ) we can have the fan on low and start feeling the warm air after about a block of driving.

Why would anyone do that? The fan goes off with the engine when we leave the car.

No fiddling necessary in the 93, just leave it on low until the warm air starts coming out ( about a block of driving ) and then medium after it warms more.

You dont have an 02 Corolla then, where Japan controls everything the way they want it.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Then dont argue with the posts, that's easy eh?

Why thank you comrade, how generous.

Reply to
Jane_Galt