Re: {ot} Manufacturers extend a product¹s lifewith software upgrades

I've got a Samsung TV and it downloaded an upgrade recently, I don't

> know it changed but the picture got better. Now if I could just > download a carwash for my old Toyota,...... > > "WITH computer chips now found in nearly everything that¹s inedible, a > free software upgrade could extend product life and engender brand > loyalty in a host of categories. While other automakers talk about > performance, styling or tradition in their commercials, Ford Motor, from > its luxury Lincoln MKX down through the Ford Edge, advertises the > electronics in the dashboard ? navigation systems that find the lowest > gasoline prices, customized music playlists, a family photo album and > ³10,000 commands at your fingertips.² There is no reason that Ford > couldn¹t update the electronics every year to add a few hundred new > commands, thus preventing customers from feeling that a new BMW or > Toyota had better features."

Honda just finished creating new firmware for their hybrids, to make the batteries last longer (to benefit Honda). The tradeoff is that the cars all use significantly more gas now--but since that's not Honda's problem, they don't care.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty