Design flaw in Corollas

Do you leave the fan set to one setting? In which case, during winter it will blow cold air until the car is warm.

Or do you fiddle with the fan and turn it off until the car is warm, then turn it on?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I have an 02 Honda.

I also have an 07 Toyota (Prius). And in either case, I can set the climate controls completely manually and leave them there, and they stay that way until I change them to something else.

You clearly are doing something wrong if the controls magically change themselves away from where you set them by hand.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I hardly ever change the vents.. It's on front vent, and cold T stat all summer. In the winter, it's usually the same except that I adjust the temp according to how cold it is. I'll start full red, and gradually roll it back as I start to bake like a potato in a General Electric range set at 375F. Myself, I have no difficulty adjusting a knob.. Only in a few cases might I need defrost. Again, my arms and wrist are fairly strong, and I am able to reach over and adjust the vent setting in these cases. I've even been known to muster up enough energy to turn it back to my normal vent setting after the glass is clear so to kill the compressor. But for the most part, except for the temp and fan speed, it all stays the same year round. In the summer, the fan speed is the only knob that ever gets used.

Also, for those taking detailed notes, I use front vent all the time, but it does not blow in my face. I aim them away from me. The one on the left is aimed at the left glass, and the one on the driver side right, is aimed left enough not to directly hit me. The pass left is aimed just to the right of me, and the pass right is aimed straight back. With the blower on high, it's almost like a whirlwind that I'm sitting in the middle of where the air is fairly calm.

I've found adjusting the speed setting to be quite easy. I think anyone could do it with a little practice. As far as inch pounds of torque required to turn the vent knob, it should prove to be easy too I would think. Just takes practice, and overcoming the fear of failing to be able to turn the knob. It often helps to imagine one becoming one with the force before attempting the actual turning. This is an old Jedi trick I learned many moons ago.

Of course, being as I've played geetar for over thirty years, and have strong manly fingers, I may have an unfair advantage over the general population. :/

Reply to
nm5k

We adjust it to whatever is comfy at the time.

Some days it's 48 degrees and sunny and nothing is needed.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

Not with the '02 Corolla. If I switch it to split between floor and windshield, it automatically opens the vents and turns the AC on. Sometimes I can get it back to recirc but I have to mess with it.

They designed a big witches brew around that vent switch.

Were that it was true.

Reply to
Jane_Galt

No. Not at all.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

?
Reply to
Jane_Galt

I don't believe that your controls randomly change and that you have to "mess with it" (whatever the hell THAT means, it implies that you have to do something different all the time) to get them back to where you left them.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Put the air intake to fresh or turn the fan switch to low or off.

Reply to
Ray O