Do you care if the ice caps melt?

Is that where the monster in the Cloverfield movie came from?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Where did the world go wrong? Cars used to come from Detroit. We got our monsters from Japan....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Why do you think that the world has gone wrong? What's wrong with a global economy?

Reply to
Jeff

Nothing if you don't mind the inevitable result for many Americans - low wage tedious jobs. For the top 5% or so, it is great. I am not too worried for myself, I like getting decent quality stuff at low prices dumped in the US by the Chinese. I do worry about what my kids will do. There aren't that many jobs for CEOs.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

There are plenty of jobs out there for people with a good educations, like doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers, computer programmers, police, and people working to make our borders safe. with all the dumping, the unemployment rate is still about 5%.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Would this border protection job classification be with the Border Patrol division of Homeland security? Like the two guys rotting in prison right now, and the third one being charged by U.S. courts at the behest of the Mexican "government" for the death of a scumbag illegal?

You know, the ones abandoned by Bush and his hand-picked U.S. attorney who so effectively allowed perjurious statements to be used to convict two border patrol agents in the death of a known repeat drug smuggler, now generating nothing but silence from this administration?

Those jobs? The ones formerly held by these three guys who just tried to do their jobs?

Not until we get a president who is serious about border control, and isn't a puppet of the Mexican government with their corrupt hand up his ass.

Reply to
witfal

Even the 'man is the cause' nuts are predicting a rise of only 3 inches in fifty years. The higher numbers are IF all of the ice caps should melt. Actuuly if you do a bit of researtch you will discover the heads of some ice caps are GROWING, not melting and the average earth temperature has NOT gone up since 1998.. The sky is falling, the sky is falling ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

One of my sons works for the Department of Labor in a large eastern state. He tells me for every five jobs, of all types that are avaialble in that state, there are only three people willing and qualified to fill those jobs. As a result companies do not want to expand or move into the state. It is only getting worse as the boomers retire.

Talk to employers today and you will discover that employers are happy to get and employee that is trainable, and who will come to work and stay the shift. In my area, were the unemployment rate is above the nation average Wal-Mart can not get enough employees to fill the $14.50 hour jobs, with benefits, that are available at one of their hugh distribution centers.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Oh PLEEESSSE! All economies, like all politics, are local. The global economy is a fiction created by the "One World Government" types.

You buy everything local, it may be produced in another country, state or town but it passes through many hands before it's sold at you LOCAL store. Each hand it passes through does at least a paper transaction reflecting cost and sale price. That is a LOCAL transaction.

I'm sure that someone here is going to produce an example of a global transaction but for everyone of those, there are 10's of thousands that I can point to as local. But I'm not going to get into a pissing contest here, you either understand what I'm saying or you don't.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Yer preacing to the chior, du-u-u-u-ude...

Reply to
Hachiroku

OK, volcanic islands sink.

I don't care if the island is disappearing; 5,000 people have left already. The governor and the other remaining 10,999 want the US to PAY for them to stay on the island (riiiiight...).

A man was flooded out of his house, and was sitting on the roof. A boat from the Fire Department came by and asked if he wanted to board. The man said, No the Lord will take care of me!

Soon the man had to stand on the roof. A speedboat with a bunch of people came by, and the owner asked if he would like to board. The man said, No the Lord will take care of me!

Soon, the man was on his tip-toes on the chimney, up to his neck. A helicopter came by. The Coastguardsman asked him if he wanted to board. The man said, No the Lord will take care of me!

Soon, there was nothing left to cling to and the man drowned.

He got to Heaven and he saw the Lord. He said, Lord, why did you abandon me and let me drown! I had full faith in you and you let me down!

Jesus looked at him and said, "HEY! I sent two boats and a helicopter! What the hell did you want?!?!?!"

So, you tell me what a 'fund' of a billion dollars would be split amongst

11,000 people. Time to leave the island!!!!
Reply to
Hachiroku

The earthquake on Hawai`i island last week was caused not by slipping tectonic plates, but by the weight of the island bending the underlying lithosphere.

Fact is, the Hawaiian islands are slowly sinking under their own weight, even as sea levels rise.

There is abundant evidence that the island of Hawaii is sinking, and that different parts of the island sink, or subside, at different rates and for different reasons. At any location, the net subsidence is the sum of these different types of subsidence and any change in global sea level.

The first type of subsidence is widespread and affects the entire island.In the short term, say the last 50 years, there are detailed tide gauge data that show that Hilo has sunk, relative to Honolulu, at a rate of 2.3 millimeters per year, or roughly 4.5 inches in 50 years. At the same time, global sea level has risen about 1.8 millimeters per year, so that Hilo has actually sunk about 8 inches relative to sea level in that

50-year period.

This is actually one of the first things you learn in Geology, because it encompasses both vulcanism and plate tectonics. If you look at a map of Hawaii, you see the southwestern islands are larger, and get smaller as you look to the northwest.

This is because the island of Hawaii is on top of a 'hot spot', a volcanic spot in the ocean that causes eruptions that 'grow' the island. Because of plate tectonics, the Pacific plate is moving to the west. As the plate move, the island currently being formed by the volcanic activity is shifted away from the hot spot and begins to sink. As a new area is placed over the hot spot, a new, larger island is built.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm not a denier, I have had 5 years of geological study in high school and college.

This is a normal cycle. Here's 400,000 years worth of data:

note carefully that the temperature on the chart is *LEADING* CO2 levels.

According to the chart, we are headed for another Ice Age. Stock up on socks and blankets now!

I knew we were headed for an Ice Age back in 1974 when I first started studying geology. What's interesting is the CO2 data is new, taken from ice core samples inthe last 10 years or so. I find it particularly interesting the data appears to show the temp rises first.

Also, if you look at the chart, the rise in temp has leveled off, at an even lower temperature than in the past. It's probably going to be a colder Ice Age than previous ones, and start sooner.

Man is pretty arrogant to think he can alter the cycles of the Earth to that extent.

Reply to
Hachiroku

To me, it appears the [CO2] is leading the temp variation around 325,000.

The highest [CO2] on the graph is less than 300 ppm. But it is almost

400 ppm now.

You'll also notice that the temperature was at least -2 C during the entire period except thrice, each time around peaks in the [CO2].

Or the [CO2] changes first at other times.

And, if you look closely you will notice that there is a temp. plateu now. In the past, there were sharp peaks that quickly went down. Our present temp has been up for a while.

Man is pretty arrogant to think that he can double the [CO2] concentration, destroy rain forests, increase the pH of the ocean and kill off a large percentage of species without ill effects of this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Here's an idea:

Let's say the water level begins to rise due to global warming. Coastal cities will begin to experience floods and we will lose habitable land back to the sea. Of course this would have a very negative effect on waterside properties.

One way to reduce the rise in water levels albeit not dramatically would be to expand oil drilling all over the world. By pumping up whatever oil we could find we would be emptying huge cavities of space within the Earth itself. This would allow much of the water in the oceans to fill these voids and lower the water tables of the surface. Since the planet already has these pockets of liquid we wouldn't be making much of a dent to the crust by replacing one form of liquid for another.

This plan would extend mankind's existence several hundred more years and essentially put the environmentalists and Al Gore out of business. It would also virtually eliminate our dependence upon Middle East oil.

Reply to
badgolferman

The Earth is fairly resilient. We are but a gnat on the ass of the Earth...

Reply to
Hachiroku

And Loonie Leftard LIEberals are but a boil on the buttocks of the world that desparateley needs lancing.

Reply to
<n5hsr

It doesn't take a lot of bacteria to bring down a man (by down, I mean down about 6 feet under).

The earth will recover from out effects pretty much in a few thousand years. The question is, how many of us (I mean our descendants) will be there to see it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've seen the obvious changes in my life time (almost 50)...The area I grew up in rarely had floods (onec every 100 years. Now it floods often.

The area I now live in has barrier islands that are being encroached upon by the sea. The local governments pour millions of dollars of money into the beachfront to protec the multimiillion dollar properties. But it's starting to become obviousl that they are growing weary of this and the writing is on the wall for these barrier islands.

The more frequent hurricanes haven't helped either. The property values that used to be escalating constantly are now dropping like a rock and insurance is going out of sight..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Hurricane frequency and intensity has not yet equaled that of the 1930s.

Reply to
witfal