FIT or Yaris - Element or xB

I need some wheels. Cost is the primary determinant, but I want to spend my money wisely, and a couple thousand more for a vehicle that gives me more utility may be money well spent. Second determinant is fuel economy. I don't haul anything, it is just me going many miles. I have looked at the Fit and Yaris and they fit for cost and economy. But I have read some real horror stories about the FIT.

This does not HAVE TO be a determinant, but it would be nice if the vehicle could pull say a 1000# trailer, little fishing boat. But that is just a nice to have.

I like the looks of both the Element and the Scion xB.

Of those 4 vehicles, and understanding my determinants, and hopefully YOU knowing a whole lot more about these vehicles than I do, which would you buy and why?

Reply to
Chris Lamb

If you have read some horror stories about the Fit, then it seems like the Yaris would be the choice between these two vehicles. I am not aware of any major complaints with the Yaris. Another prospect is the Scion xA.

The Element is 1 size larger than the subcompact Fit, Yaris, xA, xB, and Versa. The Element will have more interior room and has a 1,500# towing capacity, while I am pretty sure that the others are not suitable for towing.

On the other hand, the Element's fuel economy probably will be worse than the other vehicles and will cost more.

The Element is probably not as economical to operate as the Fit, Yaris, xA, xB, and Versa, and if you do not need the space or towing capacity, then why pay for it?

You have heard horror stories about the Fit, so that one would be out.

Lately, Nissan's reliability has not been as good as Toyota and Honda so the Versa would be out.

That leaves the Yaris, xA, and xB. I think they will all perform similarly so choose the body style and options that you like. The xA and xB are more customizable, so if that is your thing, the xA and xB may be your choice. They will be discontinued soon, so you may be able to get a good deal. The Yaris is a newer body style in the U.S.

Reply to
Ray O

What horror stories? The Fit has been around for quite a few years in other countries around the world (known as the Jazz in some places) and has been quite reliable. The only horror stories about the Fit that I am aware of are those that involve trying to get one.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Reply to
Chris Lamb

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@new.rr.com (Chris Lamb) who stated:

I bought the xB. Why? Practicality.

It's SMALL on the outside, LARGE on the inside, gets pretty good gas mileage, and costs around 15K bux. It's also a Toyota, so it should be pretty reliable.

To be fair, I should add that when I bought my xB in late '05, neither the Yaris nor the Fit (both fine cars, as far as I can tell) were options, 'cause they weren't on the market then so I didn't (couldn't) consider either one.

The Element was both larger and more expensive than I wanted, and the xB is . . . CUTE . . . so it won out.

-Don

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

My wife has an 05 Element and not one problem for the 1.5 years she has had it. Mileage is about 23-25 with mostly highway driving. It can tow 1500 lbs. but we don't do any towing with it. I like the xB myself, but it you have to tow 1k it's out anyway.

Reply to
Roadrunner Newsgroup

FWIW - I bought a 2006 used Saturn Ion 2 with all the options, sunroof, 11000 miles. It just came off 1 year lease. I was very interested in either a FIT or YARIS, however every one of those vehicles coming into this area until the end of the year is already sold. I had the option to buy one sight unseen, and I would have received it in January. The Saturn I got, in a new 2007 version costs $17000. I got it for $12000. It will be garaged and cared for so even though I would agree F/Y are better quality, this vehicle should certainly provide satisfactory service to us. Also, it will tow 1000# in case we want to pull a small fishing boat to the lake, which is only 3 blocks from the house. Thanks to everyone for your input. It was valuable information in making my decision.

Reply to
Chris Lamb

Did he REALLY put 'cute' and 'xB' in the SAME sentance?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think it was Hachiroku who stated:

OK, OK . . . that's not an accurate description. I WON'T drive anything cute.

It's HOMELY.

But it's still the most new car for the bux that I've ever owned.

-D

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn