Shudder after 120 km/h?

hi all, I get a shudder after 120km/h in a '95 corolla 160i GL.. what could it be? is it a common problem?

thanks in advance..

Reply to
ridwan.jeena

Does the shudder come through the steering wheel through the whole car?

The first thing I would check is the wheel balance. you might have thrown a wheel balance mass. If you take it to a tyre shop they should be able to rebalance all 4 wheels for less than $50, it might not solve you problem but it's the least expensive place to start. From that point on out need to start looking at the suspension components such as wheel bearings, ball joints and drive shafts then possibly the gearbox which could start to get pricy to fix.

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

o ok thanks man.. ill try the balancing first and then ill check up the other things you've mentioned.. the shudder is in the steering and gets quite bad when im taking bends at high speed.

but thanks again man :)

Nicholas Bourne wrote:

Reply to
ridwan.jeena

I guess it's just that I want to live to be very old, but you wouldn't catch me driving a twelve year old car of any description over 75 miles an hour, regardless of its condition. you don't mention the mileage on the odometer, but I'm guessing it's well over 100K miles. But if you've gotta go that fast, do look into the balance and alignment, and don't do it on well-worn tires.

Reply to
mack

I think it was "mack" who stated:

No? Better stay on the back roads, then.

If you were driving anywhere on the freeways around Minneapolis or Chicago or Phoenix (the ones I'm most familiar with) or any other large metropolitan area you'd have a death wish if you drove anything less than 75 miles an hour, regardless of the condition. (Unless it was at "rush hour" when the freeways can slow to around zero to ten miles an hour.)

If it's shuddering, it should be fixed, of course. But that applies to any car regardless of its age . . . .

-Don

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn