Ford vs. Toyota safety

My only foolish comment was agreeing that the police dept prefers the cars you mentioned because they were RWD. This is because no one offers an alternative any more.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Ya right. How many FWD race cars do you know of? Indy banned FWD cars many years ago after a driver or two where killed because of the poor handling of FWD at speed

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So, what does Indy have to do with cops misusing public roads???

Reply to
FanJet

You need to consider the source of this information. Autosafety.org is run by trial lawyer for the benefit of trial lawyers.

Meaningless numer unless you you examin each one for significance. Is a recall to inspect a seat back latch on 500 cars as significant as a recall to inspect 700,000 vehicles with potentiall bad balljoits?

See below

For Crown Victorias go read -

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the car exceeds federal standards for fuel system safety and the rate of fires was no greater than with Chevrolet Caprice police cars.....

"NHTSA said it is aware of only four fire-related rear crashes resulting in four deaths in more than 2.6 million civilian Crown Victoria cars."

A Ford Crown Victoria has a much better injury loss rating than a Toyota Avalon or Camry. So, if you are worried about safety, you should be driving the Crown Victoria (see

This is exactly the sort of crap that drives me crazy. No single Focus model has been recalled 12 or 13 times. All the various Focus models from the last

5 years have been recalled 13 times combined. However, not all Focus models/years have been recalled. "Focus" is not a single car line. It is made up of 4 related but distinct models. Some models from some years have been recalled, most have not.

Here is a brief history of Foci recalls:

2000 Focus 00S20S1 OCT 00 Recall - `A' Pillar Trim Replacement - 351,000 vehicles - changes shape of a trim piece 01S24 AUG 01 Recall - Defective Wiper Motor Switch/Gear Cover - not Focus specific 00S55 JAN 01 Recall - Rear Seat Back Hinge Replacement - 95,000 vehicles Focus ZX Wagon Only 00S50 DEC 00 Recall - Decklid Wire Harness Replacement - 74,500 vehicles, wagons / hatchbacks not affected 00S31 OCT 00 Recall - Wheel Bearing Inspection/Retainer Installation - 203,700 vehicles, inspection of wheel bearing retaining nut to verify proper installation. 99S35 DEC 99 Recall - Speed Control Cable & Servo Replacement - 534 vehicles, SVT models only. 05S27S1 APR 05 Recall - Rear Door Latch Inspection/Door Seal Install (4 Door Models only) 03N01 JAN 04 Recall - Fuel Delivery Module Defect 02S41 JAN 03 Recall - Pinch Bolt Torque & Battery Cable Routing 02S42 JAN 03 Recall - Pinch Bolt Torque and Battery Cable Routing (really same as 02S41)

2001 Focus

01S24 AUG 01 Recall - Defective Wiper Motor Switch/Gear Cover - see 2000, not Focus specific 01S13 MAR 01 Recall - Seat Back Recliner Handle Spring Replacement - 8,500 vehicles damaged by a test, dealer to inspect / replace as necessary 00S55 JAN 01 Recall - Rear Seat Back Hinge Replacement 05S27S1 APR 05 Recall - Rear Door Latch Inspection/Door Seal Install (4 Door Models only) 03N01 JAN 04 Recall - Fuel Delivery Module Defect 02S41 JAN 03 Recall - Pinch Bolt Torque & Battery Cable Routing 02S42 JAN 03 Recall - Pinch Bolt Torque and Battery Cable Routing (really same as 02S41)

2002 Focus

05S27S1 APR 05 Recall - Rear Door Latch Inspection/Door Seal Install (4 Doord Models only) 02S37 APR 02 Recall - Speed Control Cable/Throttle Body Defect

2003 Focus

No Safety Recalls

2004 Focus

No Safety Recalls

2005 Focus

No Safety Recalls

You seem so up on Ford Recalls, do you have any idea how Toyota stacks up? How many safety recalls have affect Toyotas in recent years?

2000

Avalon - 1 00V154000 Camry - 2 00V154000, 01V012000 Solara - 1 00V154000 Echo - 3 00V256000, 01V326000, 04V455000 Celica - 2 04V566000, 04V45500, RAV4 - 2 00V211000, 00V212000 Tacoma - 1 01E041000 Tundra -2 01E041000, 99V347003

2001

4Runner - 1 05V225000 Avalon - 1 01V072000 Camry - 2 01V072000, 01V012000 Celica - 1 04V566000 Echo -1 02V268000 Highlander - 3 02V208000, 04V181000, 01V228000 Prius - 1 00V285000 Sienna - 1 01V072000 Tacoma - 2 03V189000, 05V225000,

2002

4Runner - 1 05V225000 Camry - 3 04V346000, 01V372000, 01V306000 Celica - 1 03V074000 Echo - 1 02V268000 Highlander - 2 02V208000, 04V181000 Sequoia - 1 05V225000

2003

4Runner - 2 02V339000, 03V146000 Camry - 1 04V346000 Celica - 1 03V074000 Corolla - 1 02V074001 Highlander - 2 02V339000, 04V181000 Sequoia - 1 05V225000 Tacoma - 2 03V189000, 05V225000

2004

Camry - 2 04V346000, 04V595000 Corolla - 1 03V366000 Highlander -1 04V181000 Prius - 1 04V558000 Sequoia - 1 05V225000 Sienna - 2 03V291000, 05V327000 Tacoma - 2 05V225000, 04V214000

2005

Avalon - 1 05V227000 Camry - 1 04V595000 Scion TC - 1 05V483000 Tacoma - 2 05V302000, 05V050000 Tundra - 2 05V123000, 05V328000

So, counting distinct recalls by model (only counting recall programs once, not once per year), in the last 5 years there have been 3 Avalon recalls, 7 Camry recalls, 1 Solara recall, 3 Echo recalls, 3 Celica recalls, 2 RAV4 recall, 7 Tacoma recalls, 4 Tundra recalls, 3 4Runner recalls, 5 Highlander recalls, 2 Prius recalls (plus one pending), 3 Sienna recalls, and 1 Sequoia recall. If you break down the Focus recalls by model, instead of lumping them all together, the most recalled model has only 6 recalls (4 door sedan). So, if you are fair, you should be screaming about Camrys which have been recalled more often than 4 door Focus models over the last 5 years. The Tacoma has been recalled even more often, but the model was significantly redesigned in the last 5 years. If you consider the number of vehicles affected by recall, well Camrys are the #1 selling car - you do the math.

You should also consider that the Focus was a new design when introduced in

2000. There have been no safety recalls for Focus models made in the last three years. The Camry, a very mature design (in other words - old, stale, obsolete, tired) is still generating recalls after 6 years. And you also need to factor in Toyota stonewalling tactics. They never have a problem till the whole world comes down on them......

I'll be waiting for your explanation of why Foci are bad and Camrys are good.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

How far back do you want to go? A 1969 Ford 428 NC Highway Patrol Car would outrun a 1968 or 1970 Dodge 440 NC Highway Patrol Car. These are the only years I know for sure.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

At least in NC, the Highway patrol has split their recent purchases between Ford Crown Victorias and Chevrolet Impalas with a few older Camaros still around as pursuit vehicles. Neither the CV or Impala is really fast enough to catch the fastest civilian cars. I personally would prefer that high speed pursuits be avoided. I suspect the Dodge Charger will soon be the police vehicle of choice...

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The last time my home was robbed, the Police gave me a report and did nothing - even after I called them up and told them the name of the guy who tried to cash a check using the blank checks he had stolen from my house. I talked to an officer about this later, and he pretty much admitted they don't spend much time investigating home robberies. And I am very sure, they wouldn't arrive at a home in time to pursue a robber at high speed or otherwise.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I am not a Dodge man but only in your dreams. Those old 440 wedges were some real stump pullers and not that the 428 was bad, the 440 was better. Alrond here in the time frame the hiway patrol drove stripped chevys with 427's in them and they were seriously fast, Ford never made much of a impression around here in police market back them and the police 427's had better top end than the police 428's did too

Reply to
TheSnoMan

"TheSnoMan" wrote in message news:_1qgf.3855$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

I am only going by what the local highway patrol officer told me back then. He was really unhappy when they replaced his Ford with a Dodge. I never drove either myself. I do know that none of the kids with hot cars had any trouble out running the local Dodges. If fact, when I was in high school, the "boys" thought Dodges were a joke. The hottest cars were mostly Cheives with a couple of Fords. Just before the local Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealership folded for good, the new owner ordered two very fast cars, a Hemi Cuda and a 440 Six pack Challenger. Unfortunately no one I knew ever tried them out. We also had a Boss 429 Mustang in the next town. I wish I could have tried that one myself. The performance car of choice was an SS Chevelle (either 396 or 454). One guy had a very Fast 429 Super Cobra Jet Torino. The one fast Dodge in the area was a 440 Charger, but nobody ever seemed impressed by it. I think the most impressive local car was a 1067 Corvette with a "hot" 396. It was owned by a local guy who worked at the Chevy dealer. It was legendary in the area. The local Police department had a 427 Impala. The only time it was driven hard was in when they took it in for service. The mechanics always had to take it out to "blow out" the carbon. I never had any sort of performance car until I was well into my 40's and even then it was only a Mustang GT (which I suspect would have outrun the typical early 70's patrol car).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You'll never get it. In fact, if you skate around the auto transmission issues, Accords are better than Camrys and there's no question that the '06 civic is much better than an '06 Corolla. Properly optioned, a Focus is a better value than either and fun to drive. Let's see - what's left in the Toyota fun-to-drive stable? Bozos dropped the Celica just as I was thinking a GTS.

Reply to
FanJet

Huh? I was talking about safety recalls. Transmisisons? The only automatic tranmission I've personally had fail was a Toyota....so go figure. Which transmission issue am I skirting around in this thread?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White