Gas in oil fuel pump / carb ? 82 Toyota Corolla Wagon

Hello, I've been Google searching this group and it seems the two likely reasons for gas in the oil are either leaky diaphram in oil pump, or leaking bowl in the carburetor.

So what sayeth ye experts? Of the two, which would be the more likely.

I'm thinking I should start with the fuel pump. Am I right?

Thanks

--Dave Moore--

Reply to
Dave Moore

"Dave Moore" wrote in news:xX6gf.75227$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

FUEL pump, not the oil pump.

The FUEL pump. It's easy to pull, too.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Aaarrgghhh!!! That's what I meant to say, "fuel pump."

: : : > or : > leaking bowl in the carburetor. : >

: > So what sayeth ye experts? : > Of the two, which would be the more likely. : >

: > I'm thinking I should start with the fuel pump. : > Am I right? : : : : The FUEL pump. It's easy to pull, too.

Thanks, I'm going to get a new one tomorrow even though I haven't pulled and verified the old one to be bad. I reckon that even if the old one is still good, it's old enough to where it could be on the verge of failing anyway.

Thanks again

--Dave Moore--

: : : : -- : TeGGeR® : : The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ :

Dave Moore

"Dave Moore" wrote in news:Qufgf.10840$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Just unbolt it and have a peek. If the diaphragm is leaking, you'll see the gas.

Better change your oil immediately once the pump is replaced. Gas is not much of a lubricant for your bearings.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I concur, you have a problem. If you don't fix it soon, you'll have a very serious problem. Gas destroys the lubricative properties of oil, and you may as well fill the crank case with water and drive it around.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland