Gas usage on departure???

One time when I was paying my auto insurance online I notice a discount if I completed a defensive driving course. Turned out I could take the course online, so I did, the course cost 40 bucks and saves $80.00 a year, took a couple of hours to take it and pass it and they mailed me a certificate for the insurance company. I drove a motorcycle a lot when I was younger and learned quickly what defensive driving really is, basically you drive like you are invisible and never assume anything, be ready for anything. We also had signal 30 films in high school and that taught me the seriousness of driving. I got my share of tickets when I was younger but I never had a serious accident that was my fault, yet. I can tell you some accidents are unavoidable and broken ribs are very painful until they heal. My Toyota has 70K on it and the brake pads might be half worn, I think they are original, my pickup has 60K and 3 of the tires are original. I drive like an old man anymore. I even use the cruise controls in town so I don't exceed the speed limits. Funny how things change as we get older, I could care less who gets to the next stop light first anymore.

Reply to
Moe

LOL....yup

In Florida there is a defensive driving course for us old farts. It takes a percentage off your auto insurance for three years.

Scott in Florida

I do the same and I get better mpg's than what my car is rated for (highway). I also look ahead to see if an upcoming light is red and just coast. By the time I get near the light it's green again. I do take others into consideration and try not to be the roadblock. Most people here drive faster than the speed limits so just dropping down to around the speed limit is usually enough. Also, I drive an automatic so it doesn't slow down all that much when coasting....

oh, and I accelerate smoothly. I figure this will save me some gas and also reduce wear.

Reply to
RT

An old friend of mine said it best - It isn't the accelerator that hurts fuel economy, it is the brake pedal. If you drive in a manner that minimizes brake usage, you'll get good fuel economy. Accelerating quickly, only to have to brake sharply, wastes the most gas.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White