Help - 2000 Camry fan switch partially working?

I have a 2000 Camry where the fan switch only works on off or high. Has this happened to anyone else? I haven't started taking it apart yet, but I assume it's just the switch. If anyone knows of a quick test, please let me know.

Thanks

Reply to
Reckless

It's more than likely the speed control resistor - Follow the power leads from the fan motor back, and four or five wires will go to a connector that is fastened to the side of the heater duct with a screw.

Turn off the power before opening this up, and do not test the motor under power with the resistor pulled out. The resistor has to live in the fan airflow with the power on, or it will quickly burn up. And if you grab it while it's on, your fingers are going to have grill marks like a steak.

The resistor gives you the Low and Medium speeds, and the fan switch sends full voltage straight to the motor on High. If the resistor goes open on the highest medium setting segment you lose everything below High, if the last segment goes open you only lose Low.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman