Hey, Ray, did I get taken???

Thinking about my head gasket problems with my Subarus (is Subaru Japanese for "replace headgasket every 120,000 miles"?) I got to thinking about my Hachiroku.

Now, I can't remember the mileage...30,000 seems to stick, but then again so does 70,000...I brought it in for service and the assistant SM came out and told me there was a problem with the engine and they would have to do some work to keep water from getting into the cylinders. Now, I wasn't

*REAL* car savvy back then, but if he had said "Head Gasket" I would have known what he was talking about better.

Anyway, the bill came up to $420, which by today's standars is a bargain for ah HG. Since I wasn't sure what he was talking about, I paid the $400 and went away happy, but broke...

The engine in the Hachiroku is basically a 4-cylinder version of the 3.0L six that's in the Supra. As we all know, Supras of my vintage are notorious for BHGs. The engines are both made by Yamaha, and basically the same design.

It seems to me a Toyota with ~50,000 (give or take) that has NOT been driven hard (the car's 1st owner was the SM's wife; this guy's boss, and I really doubt she beat on the car, and although I drove it FAST, I didn't pound on it...) shouldn't require a HG. I'm wondering if the 1.6L Twin Cam suffered the same problems the 3.0L TC suffered, and if Toyota knew about it and just kept it quiet.

Well, Ray...*YOU* were a Factory Rep during this time, RIGHT?!?!?! ;) (I believe this was 1987 or so, the car was 2 years old and had been babied it's entire life, I'm sure. I just can't remember if this was before or after it's 20 mile run on the Trans-Canada Highway at 120MPH (with a brief 'gust' at 130... YEEEEEE-HAAAAAA!!!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't recall ever seeing a blown head gasket or any major mechanical problems during the warranty period or within a couple of years after the warranty expired. My memory is a little hazy, but I do recall some complaints about the spark plug tubes leaking after the warranty had expired, but I don't remember if it was oil or coolant seeping into the combustion chamber.

Reply to
Ray O

That may have been it. I guess the guy didn't think I would understand if he got too 'technical', so he tried to explain it in a way that really confused the living daylights out of me!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Unfortunately, translating technical terms to layman's terms is not in the curriculum at service advisor's school '-)

Reply to
Ray O