Service Engine Light On

Two days after having my oil changed the 'Service Engine light' came on on my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. Does this light come on when you need an oil change? Should it have been reset when the oil change was done?

Reply to
Jim Brown

A 'Service Engine Light' should have nothing to do with an oil change. If the "Service Engine" light is on, you should get it scanned for codes. You may have a 'change oil' light. My sister has an '04 Grand Am, and I'm pretty sure it has one, but the 'Service' light is totally different. Is the car acting abnormal?

Reply to
80 Knight

My Grand Am has a red "change oil" light that comes on and is reset by a button on the drivers dash side of the vehicle. There is an amber "service vehicle soon" that will come on if a light bulb or non engine error develops. Another amber light "service engine soon" sets code for your motor..(EGR,O2 sensors,ect.....)

Reply to
DanFXR

If you don't have an ODB2 diag code reader, then take your car to an auto parts store and they will read your diagnostics code for free and sell you the part you need. I know that Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts have done this for me in the past.

Take care,

-Chris

Reply to
Christopher Cole