Hybrid question

Please learn how to read. The water is for cooling.

Reply to
dizzy

Wrong again.

They can and do increase efficiency. Moron.

There's a LOT more energy in the exhaust gases than what is required to get them out the pipe. The fact that they can spin turbochargers which compress air is proof of that.

Reply to
dizzy

At least you admit it...

Reply to
dizzy

I was reading at 10th grade level in 7th grade. I read very well.

I know. And the oil is for lubrication. You still need to keep the oil going to the turbo until the turbo has slowed down. I didn't say the oil is used to cool the turbo.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Getting something wrong does not make one a moron. Not learning from mistakes does.

And, I learned not to call people names in first grade.

Actually, it is a demonstration that there is energy in the exhaust.

It doesn't show that there is more energy than needed to get the exhaust out or that the spinning the turbo doesn't make the engine work harder.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Then why did you respond to my statement regarding water-cooling of turbos with "no, the oil..."?

Water-cooled turbos aren't so hot that you need to worry about the oil coking, unless you've been driving the car pretty hard right-before shut-down.

Reply to
dizzy

I think you just made another enemy dizz old boy. You really should find something else to do. Like go chop some firewood, something useful.

cheers

Reply to
dbu

Actually Jeff a turbo charged engine is more efficient than a naturally aspirated one, if you measure efficiency by the number of miles traveled vs the amount of fuel burned. Stuffing more fuel/air into the combustion chamber makes for a higher effective compression ratio which raises the efficiency of the engine. It also means that you will have a much harder time controlling pre-ignition (knock).

All railroad train engines and large emergency generator plants use turbo charged engines. They run, for the most part, at one rpm and a turbo charger utilizes waste heat from the exhaust to compress the input gases. This would make it ideal for hybrid car engines.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Yeah, I know. And when I rode on the New Jersey Transit train last night, I heard a terrible knock from pre-ignition. :-;

it also makes the engine work a bit harder in the exhaust stroke. But the increased efficiency makes up for the increased work.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff