Imperative that bolts on main bearings be free enough to finger snug?.

I've got a Toyota 7MGE and find that on some of the main caps, when the cap is tapped into place, I can finger tighten both bolts so that they snug up against the surface of the cap. However on some of them, I seem to be able to do one, but the other snags or binds a bit once it reaches a certain point so that a mild twist with a socket is needed for it to make initial contact with the cap surface. Without the caps in place all the bolts thread in quite easily so it's not a matter of messed up threads.

All caps are in correct order (they're stamped) and oriented the correct direction and the bolt threads are oiled.

Is this anything to be concerned about or should all bolts definitely be free enough to finger tighten to the cap surface? I'm concerned that if one bolt is grabbing a bit more than the other, this will effect torque readings or is the amount of "grab" that feels like a lot of resistance to my unaided fingers not enough to be concerned about.

Thanks.

Reply to
HiC

The oil on the threads will blow the torque readings by up to 60% depending in the size and type. Is your book 'specifically' set up for 'wet' torque? Most just say the word 'torque' which means 'dry' thread torque. If they mean wet, they will be specific.

The odd gall or dirt chunk halfway along the threads or a cocked cap requiring a wrench to seat it won't affect it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

That feeling's normal, HiC. I got that all the time on all of Toyota's engines. So long as you can get the thing seated with a socket using very light torque application, you'll be alright. Just make sure you're "applying a light coat of oil to the bolt threads" as the manual should call for.

Reply to
qslim