install light(bulb) in trunk?

Hi, I have two basic models of Corolla, 2000 and 2001. Both of them don't have trunk lights. I like to install a light in trunk, how difficult it will be and how to do it? Thank in advance.

WM

Reply to
wenmang

It's really easy if you simply mount an alkaline powered version, like these, with double sided foam tape:

Try a local camper / truck shell type place and you can probably be done by tonight! Alkaline batteries would probably last years if you remember to turn it off.

Reply to
B a r r y

That is a nice option. My question actually is to see whether there is a simple way to install a "real" trunk light using existing wiring from tail light or something similar. It should function as the manufacture installed one if possible. wm

Reply to
wenmang

Be sure to install one with adequate wattage. The one in my 99 Camry is too dim so I swapped it with one of the license plate lights which is somewhat stronger. They didn't use the usual 168 or 194 in the labelling on the bulb, so I couldn't tell you what bulb, precisely, to buy.

Reply to
Sharx35

It should be fairly easy to install a light in the trunk. There is probably a unused socket somewhere in the trunk near the tail lights or license plate lights where the factory trunk light plugs in. Or, you can go to an auto parts store or camper store and get a 12 volt one that is manually switched. If you are electrically inclined, you can leave the switch in the on position and install a plunger switch like (an auto alarm accessory).

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. I will try to find out whether my car has an empty socket or not.

Reply to
wenmang

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if Haynes do a manual for your cars. My reasoning was, if there's an official way to fit a lamp back there, that might be the way to do it. You don't want to be dicing with sudden failures, fires or lesser bad karma. However, the closest they seem to come is on this page (join the lines):

CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001& langId=-1&pageSize=300&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch& resultType=2&stringValue=corolla&searchTerm=%22corolla%22 It looks as if they've only considered doing the manual for those years. Perhaps Toyota...?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Look around in the vicinity of the trunk hinges for an unused 2 or

3-pin connector taped to the wiring loom headed for the tail lights, and if so see if one is +12V Hot on the Dome Light circuit and the other is a ground. That would be where the factory option trunk light plugs in - and with that big clue I'll leave it as an exercise for you to find something that works there.

But remember that pin switches bend, and when you park on a steep hill nose down tilt switches can come on even with the trunk closed. And you can end up with a mystery dead battery problem till you figure out it's the trunk light staying on.

And it's going to be an 18 or 20-gauge wire, so don't try to put more than a 10CP lamp on there or you'll have a meltdown.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You're welcome. Bruce's advice is much more thorough.

Reply to
Ray O