Interesting Driving Tip

JoeSpareBedroom

Oh, I don't know whether this would work, Joe. I once saw a bumper sticker "Honk If You Love Jesus", so I honked, and the lady driver flipped me the bird.

Reply to
mack

I'm reminded of a radio station I used to listen to in Long Island, which ran fake public service ads. At that time, NY's commissioner of motor vehicles was Vincent L. Toffany, an oafish character with a very thick NY/Italian accent. One ad said "Hello. This is Vincent L. Toffeecandy, commissioner of motor vehicle cars, with a safe driving tip. When you're out in your car, watch where the hell you're goin'. Thank you."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reminds me of a wrecked car I saw parked at a gas station. Bumper sticker read: "God is my co-pilot." This "driving tip" is standard procedure in Mexico, as is driving on the side walk in order to pass.

Reply to
F.H.

Reminds me of something that happened the other day. (True story) We were driving on the highway in our Avalon when someone started cutting into our lane, not seeing our car. I pushed mightily on the horn to warn the driver off, and he dutifully scampered back into his own lane. My wife said "Ah, that's what the horn sounds like". I should mention that we've owned our Avalon for three and a half years, and have put about 30,000 miles on it since we bought it.

Reply to
mack

My, you fellas are just attacking everybody today. Or should I say "ridiculing" other folks' religions, nationalities, and even shopping preferences.

Well, let me relate to you boys a little story about the consequences of acting in a quasi-cultish anti-Other manner. Why so anti-Other? So "Them-or-Us?" That's so cult-like.

Wouldn't you want to embrace other folks' differences and possibly learn from them? I mean I'm sure Jews can learn from Christians, and vice versa. There's no reason to foster an anti-Other attitude.

And some ask why there are separate country clubs in America for Christians and Jews? Well, I think both your posts in this thread lend some insight into this question.

I don't know if you remember the CEO of the old ma-bell company called Southwestern Bell? Southwestern Bell used to be based in St. Louis in the early 1990's.

The CEO was Jewish and wanted to join St. Louis's most elite country club. But, he couldn't get in. Hell, they wouldn't even let him into the country club.

I guess as long as Jews try to perpetuate a "Them-or-Us," anti-Other attitude, we'll just continue to have separate Christian and Jewish country clubs in America.

How unfortunate...

What is it like in Canada and Britain? The same?

My suggestion to Jews would be to stop teaching their children that Jesus of Nazareth was a criminal. No such evidence exists. In fact, quite the opposite is suggested by the available historical evidence.

Anyway, happy Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashana) to our Jewish friends, and I say that as one who was raised as a Christian, extending a hand of friendship to our Jewish friends :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

So are there separate country clubs for Christians and Jews in Canada and Britain, too?

Reply to
Built_Well

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." Groucho Marx

Reply to
F.H.

Built well (though I doubt it) ---please read my post again. as follows -

Who did I "attack" with that little story? Did I flip the bird to the (capital "C") "Christian" lady? Now have you got it? At last? Or is your brain not 'built well"?

Reply to
mack

========

Mack, yes, I am built well. In fact, I've been told more than once by the opposite sex than I'm in the 99.9th percentile of men when it comes to handsome-ness ;-)

So I don't understand why you're attacking my appearance instead of my argument :-)

Mack, in deference to you, JoeSpareBedroom does more of the attacking of Christians--not so much you. You're a good guy. I like reading your /on-topic/ posts.

Reply to
Built_Well

I'd like to remind everyone that Jews comprise less than

2 percent of the U.S. population. You could be excused for thinking otherwise, considering the much higher percentage of Jewish regulars who participate in this newsgroup.

I don't mind their participation. In fact, I welcome it. Diversity should be embraced, not shunned.

As a Christian, I think it's important to respect and treat Jews and Arabs like I would any other Christian person.

However, I do mind all the off-topic kibbitzing, as does Ray O, who has expressed his disapproval of all the off-topic posts on several occasions.

If you guys want to read each others political opinions, then just start a newsgroup called jewish.political.opinion . Or I guess that should be titled from general to specific: opinion.political.jewish :-)

This isn't a politics newsgroup :-)

Please try staying on-topic.

Someone said Art started the off-topic political posts long ago. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know folks of all religious and political stripes have joined in. For example, Scott in Florida (who is *not* a Jew). So my admonition applies to everyone straying off-topic, not just Jews.

Reply to
Built_Well

I simply point out the lessons of history.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The term "thinly veiled" comes to mind here....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How nice for you..... But something tells me that women (whom you refer to as the opposite sex, though I cannot understand why this arcane expression is used when you could just say "women") have never actually said "you're in the 99.9th percentile of men" when they had perhaps actually said "you're a nice looking guy". And may I say that anyone who crows about this fact is likely an easy mark for a woman who may simply desire a free drink or a dinner. Women don't easily give out such compliments for no return.

sorry if I gave you that impression....but it does seem that a guy who uses this handle seriously has spent just a little too much time looking in the mirror. I hope you've never asked the looking glass "who's the fairest one of all?"

Good, I'm pleased. However, I think I've read most or all of Joe's posts, and I can't think of one that attacked Christians. He (and I) may be guilty of putting down self-righteous Bible thumpers though. To me, there's nothing quite as reprehensible as someone who thinks himself superior to others because of his religious beliefs. (That's very un-Christian!)

Reply to
mack

There is one thing more reprehensible: Using the last of the coffee, toilet paper, or potato chips and not putting it on the shopping list.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

For some reason I'd always assumed Built Well's moniker had to do with a company name - one which he admired, or whatever. But recently, via some of his other posts & now these, I've come to realize it has to do with his self-perception. Whole different ball of wax.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Or steroids.

Reply to
witfal

Or, a 290 lb shlub with a serious Cheez Doodles addiction and one hell of an imagination.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Isn't that spelled "schlub" ?

Reply to