It pays to frequent these groups

I'm not sure if it was on this group, but someone suggested slightly loosening the lug nuts on a wheel that was frozen on the hub and driving it around the block to loosen it. I did that while abruptly swerving a few times. I was able to remove the wheel!

Thanks!

Reply to
Dave M.

"Dave M." wrote in news:HYVbe.9070$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Mighta been me. This has been part of the Honda FAQ for a while...

TeGGeR®

Tegger,

I don't think there was a FAQ at the time, but it still could have been you.

The only thing I did that might have been risky, was driving around the block instead of up and down the driveway, but even that was not enough to loosen the nuts much farther if at all.

Thanks again,

Reply to
Dave M.

that is ridiculously dangerous, and i wouldn't recomend it for a second, even if it did the job. get on your back and remove it with a copper hammer on the inside. poor advise can lead to accident's, esspecially as those seeking it are ussually novice's. steve.

Reply to
anon

All you want to do is basicly crack the edge of the nut titness, then with a socket, nip it back up, so it isn't loose.

Another tip is on the jack, slacken wheel nuts, and hit the face of th wheel as far as you with either a rubber mallet, or hammer with a block of wood to protect the wheel. It will bounce the wheel loose from the hub, but will take longer than the drive back and forward technique, but with less risk.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Actually, the risk with hammering is damaging the wheel. The loose nut trick is the best way to do this.

If the OP had to drive around the block to get them to pop loose, he either hasn't had his wheels off in a couple of years, or installed them when it was raining.

Hey....did somebody just call me a loose nut?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I'm not so sure that abruptly swerving was a good plan, but driving around the block and using the brakes to heat the hub and wheel would have done the trick.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I agree...a mechanic (at Canadian Tire Store) forgot to tighten 'em up on my wife's car and she complained to me of the car 'clunking'...that was the best she could do to describe it, "....well, dammit, it's,...just...clunking...you know, clunking...".

The poor darlings, their forte isn't in mechanical things I guess. Anyway, I drove it around the block, checked the lug nuts, drove home, tightened them then had a little private chat with the mech. He was incredulous, sorry and apologetic... (end of story)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

With a rubber mallet, you'll damage nothing, and with a block of soft wood and a hammer it will achieve the same effect. The wood will absorb any damage rather than the wheel.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

You ain't seen the rust I've seen. And you're in Old Blighty, too. Somebody puts a wheel on when the humidity is high, and a year later the nuts won't come off, much less the wheel itself.

Hammers can be about as effective as beating your skull against the wheel (but less painful). The problem with the hammer is that that one or two- pound weight--even with its force multiplied by its travel--only exists for a few milliseconds. You need sustained force to crack the wheel loose.

Reply to
TeGGeR®